Style

ThredUP is the Website You Need to Revamp Your Wardrobe on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Haven’t you heard? ThredUP is the new thrift shop but on high end steroids!

If you haven’t heard or seen anything yet about ThredUP then you’re seriously missing out. As you can see from the image above, many of us have “champagne taste” but can’t always afford the champagne price tag. ThredUP gives you a way to afford those high-end brands that you wouldn’t otherwise! People sell or donate their clothes to ThredUP which gives them the ability to provide low prices for us. You can save up to 90% off retail prices!

Yes, you can be this happy buying clothes AND not having to worry about what it did to your bank account! They add 15,000 new arrivals to their site every single day to make sure that you have the newest items possible!

This isn’t your typical online shopping experience. It’s BETTER! When you join the site, you get a discount that can save you even more on your first purchase. You can also sign in with your Amazon account and pay with your payment method from there making it super easy (maybe a little too easy)!

? Cardboard Angel. ?#secondhandfirst [fur baby courtesy of @most_top_banana]

A post shared by thredUP (@thredup) on

Once you sign up for an account, you can then go through and start picking your sizes, your style preferences and more. ThredUP then only shows you clothes that are in your sizes preventing you from falling in love with something that isn’t a good fit.

They are currently promoting spring with tops from $4, dresses from $8 and even handbags from $12. You would not believe how easy it is to fill up your cart on this site. But there’s a catch: you can only have those items in your cart for a certain amount of time. This is because ThredUP normally only has one of the item rather than somewhere like American Eagle having 50 of the same shirt. They want to make it fair for everyone and although you can still see items that are in other people’s carts, you can’t add it to yours until the time has run out for them. You can favorite these items so if that person doesn’t purchase it, you can find it later! They will also suggest items for you based on the products you like. 

Cute haul, @minahmalistic. ?#secondhandfirst

A post shared by thredUP (@thredup) on

You can shop brands like Victoria Secret, Banana Republic, Coach, Calvin Klein, J. Crew, and more! Not sure what you want? ThredUP just introduced Goody Boxes. You take a quick survey and they send you clothing items. You only pay for what you keep! You do however have to pay a $20 non-refundable deposit that will later go towards your purchase.

Feel like doing a little spring cleaning? You can order a clean out kit and either donate or sell your “loosely worn” clothes to them! Just keep in mind, you probably won’t make much because, in order for them to give you these good prices, they need to get them for pretty cheap!

I just ordered my clean out bag to get rid of the clothes I don’t wear anymore. I’ll probably end up buying more on their site but hey, when you get rid of clothes you gotta replace them right?

I have purchased from here on numerous occasions and I highly recommend! Go check this awesome site out for yourself, don’t say I didn’t warn you – happy shopping! 

Cover photo courtesy of Pixabay 

Hannah is currently a junior journalism major and graphic design minor at Hofstra University. She's a small town girl from Vermont who moved to the big city with high hopes and nowhere near enough money. Hannah has a big heart for animals, writing, designing, and Netflix. She is an aspiring journalist who's bucket list includes traveling around the world and working in the magazine industry.