Things to do if you are Stuck On Campus for Thanksgiving

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Staying on campus this Thanksgiving? No worries! We are here with 12 things you can do if you can’t make it home for Turkey day.

Volunteer

Seems cheesy but expressing your gratitude by helping others is a great way to pass the holiday. Local food banks and programs like Meals on Wheels appreciate the extra help, especially this weekend. Not up for going out? There are also plenty of remote volunteer opportunities.

Facetime your family or friends

Just because you aren’t there doesn’t mean you can’t say hi to your loved ones. Pop on facetime, skype or zoom for a short (or long) conversation. Remember, they miss you just as much as you miss them.

Local/on-campus event

Many towns have Thanksgiving events, there may even be some on your campus. Check their websites or reach out to someone at campus recreation, chances are there are other people staying on campus as well.

Spend the day outside

Getting out into nature can really boost your mood. Go for a walk, take in the fall foliage, have a picnic in a park or go bird watching, there are endless possibilities.

Cook

Experiment with a new recipe, make yourself a whole pie or make your comfort meal. Spending time in the kitchen will remind you of past holidays, only it’s even better because you don’t have to share!

Write a letter to yourself

Chances are that if you are stuck on campus, you probably are going to school far from your home. Remember why you’re here. Writing yourself a letter can remind you how far you’ve come and how much further you’ll go.

Binge watch

Catch up on that TV show you’ve been putting off. Watch that new movie everyone’s talking about, or go back and binge your favorite media from your childhood for nostalgia.

Friends-Giving

Yeah, everyone may be gone on the day of the holiday but that doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate before. Get together with your friends and go eat out somewhere or host your own potluck dinner. For even more fun, dress up for a formal vibe or get extra comfy with pajamas.

Do a self-care day

Paint your nails, exfoliate and do a face mask. Take the day to sit back, pamper yourself and thank yourself for all your hard work.

Workout

It might seem like an oxymoron, but exercising on Thanksgiving is actually a great way to boost your mood. Get your endorphins pumping by doing some cardio, weight training or yoga.

Learn something

Take the day to learn a new skill. Always wanted to know how to write in cursive or speak pig Latin? How to knit or fold origami? Well, today is a great day to learn.

Prepare for Black Friday

If you’re not in the Thanksgiving spirit, Black Friday is almost its own holiday in itself. Search for deals at your favorite stores, and f it’s a really good deal, you can even take the extra mile and camp out in front of a store to ensure you don’t miss out.

Hope this post gave you some ideas of what to do while stuck on campus for Thanksgiving. If anything, enjoy the time off from classes and rest up for the upcoming Finals season!

Olivia Hillestad is a freshman journalism major at Hofstra University. She is originally from Washington state and loves to read, watch movies, and play with her cats.