Things Every Girl Needs in Her Makeup Collection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

A foundation made for your skin-type in very important. If you have oily skin selected an oil-free, matte foundation to help control your oil and stay longer on your face. If your have dryer skin, try a dewy foundation to add moisture and camouflage dry patches. Also consider the natural tone of your complexion: yellow, neutral, or pink. Most cosmetic counters can help you determine your tone and select the best shade for you!

A bronzer and blush duo is also great to have in your makeup collection. It is a convenient, easy, and wallet friendly way for you to add color back into your complexion. You can sweep the bronzer on your cheeks, temples, and forehead to warm up your skin and add some blush to the apples of your cheeks to give a natural flush. E.l.f. cosmetics makes great duos for blush and bronzer and the best part is they are under $5! 

Mascara is a must in any makeup collection. It can make a world of a difference to any look. Mascara can lengthen, add volume, and darken your lashes to make your eyes stand out. For more natural lashes go for a dark brown or for more drama pick a black mascara. 

Eye shadow palettes are great for getting the basic colors you like and keep them all in one place. For a versatile palette look for both matte and shimmery colors both in neutrals and pops of color. My favorite is the Too Faced Chocolate Bar palette because it has a great selection of neutral colors with a pop or purple to create tons of looks. Plus, it smells like chocolate!

Brows are one of the most important features and is an essential in my book. They tie everything together and create a frame for your face. Choose a brow pencil or powder that is one or two shades lighter than your natural hair to help define the shape. 

Lipstick is a great way to add a little something extra to the makeup look. Whether you like pinks, nudes, or bright colors. Many brands have a variety of shades and finishes: NYX has a great selection in any color you can imagine.

Finally, an artist cannot work without tools! Brushes are important in the application and blending process. Real Techniques sold at Ulta’s offers sets of brushes at a great price. They are soft, easy to use, and get the job done!

Hello Everyone!My name is Chelsea and I'm a marketing major at Hofstra. Fashion and beauty are my passions. Some fun facts are that I'm a black belt in Tang So Doo, my favorite band is the Foo Fighters, and I love pizza! 
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.