Theatre Thursday: Spring Awakening

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

One of the greatest musicals of last decade was brought back to life on Sunday. The Deaf West Theater production of “Spring Awakening” opened at the Brooks Atkinson Theater. This production is a spectacular revival of the 2006 fan-favorite musical, reimagined by Deaf West Theater, a company dedicated to providing “exposure and access to professional theatre, filling a void for deaf artists and audiences.” [DWT Mission Statement] Founded in 1991, the Los Angeles area theater company utilizes and integrates American Sign Language into theatrical productions.

A cast of both Deaf and hearing actors brings an entirely new level of meaning to the musical. In the Director’s Note, director Michael Arden said, “The term given to Deaf students unable to succeed with the abusive oral method was “Failure,” the same word that sends young Mortiz Stiefel down his destructive path. Children were told that if they failed at speech, they failed at life. Deaf marriage was looked down upon, and the barbaric sterilization of the Deaf was commonplace. This exploration of adolescence within the context of this dark time in Deaf history serves as a haunting reminder of the perils of miseducation and miscommunication…we still live in a world where beliefs, cultures and individuals are silenced and marginalized. I am honored to continue the legacy of Deaf West, an organization dedicated to bridging cultures and shifting perceptions.” [Playbill]

Entertainment Weekly said “The company’s introduction of American Sign Language grants the show more heft and sincerity, and in turn a new level of intimacy. Rather than take you out of the material, choreographer Spencer Liff uses ASL as a way to amazingly imbue Duncan Sheik’s songs with even more passion and conviction. Forced to examine the show and its songs, language, and rhythm, the audience bears witness not only to the choices that the actors make, but also those from its composer and book writer. The musical, based on the once-scandalous 1891 play by Frank Wedekind, traces the lives of German teens discovering their sexual selves, often to tragic ends. And for characters experiencing a wealth of emotions but not necessarily the best ways to communicate them, it’s as if ASL gives them both another means of expression and an additional outlet for all the adolescent ‘feels’ coursing through the show.”

This is a must-see theatrical experience. Spring Awakening is running as a limited engagement now through January 24th. Discounted tickets are available through Tix4Students. Visit www.springawakeningthemusical.com for more information.

I'm a senior Theatre Arts Production major at Hofstra University. I'm almost always at rehearsal, reading plays, seeing plays, blogging about plays, or fangirling over plays. My likes include giraffes, Britney Spears, American history and coffee.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.