Theatre Thursday: 10 New Shows Coming to Broadway this Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
1. Eclipsed
Starring the insanely talented Lupita Nyong’o, Eclipsed is transferring to Broadway this year following a highly successful run at the Public Theatre (the birthplace of 2015 game changers Fun Home and Hamilton.) Eclipsed is the story of five women brought together by the turmoil in their home country, Liberia. This tale of hope and resilience in the only new play by a woman on Broadway this season.

2. The Crucible
Arthur Miller’s classic dramatization of the Salem Witch Trials is coming to Broadway early this spring. The show is open as a strictly limited engagement, so be sure to catch it in the short 20 weeks it will be open.

3. American Psycho
Based on the amazing books about a 1980s banker that spawned the iconic 2000 film, American Psycho follows banker Patrick Bateman as he goes on a deranged murder spree. After a massively successful run in London, the musical by Spring Awakening writer Duncan Sheik begins Broadway performances March 24th.

4. Waitress
Based on the 2007 film, a new musical by Sara Bareilles and Jessie Nelson is coming to Broadway. The story follows a pregnant waitress name Jenna in an unhappy marriage and living in the Deep South. She falls into an unlikely relationship with a newcomer in town. Following a summer 2015 run at American Repertory Theatre in Cambridge, MA, Waitress comes to Broadway this spring.

5. Tuck Everlasting
Winnie Foster’s world has been limited to the confines of the fence around her house. Yearning for something more, Winnie runs deep into the woods where she meets the Tuck family and discovers a secret they’ve been keeping for a long time, they cannot die. This musical opens in April and is sure to be a hit. If you’re interested you should also read the book by Natalie Babbitt and watch the 2002 movie starring Alexis Bledel.

6. Natasha Pierre and The Great Comet of 1812
This may sound strange, but bear with me because this AMAZING show is making waves in the theatre world. Natasha Pierre is a musical adaptation of Tolstoy’s War and Peace, in the form of an electropop opera. It is focused on the Volume 2, Part 5 section of the extensive novel highlighting Natasha’a affair with Anatole. Starting with a 2013 off-broadway run, then a 2015/16 A.R.T. production, Natasha Pierre 
and The Great Comet of 1812 is projected to open on Broadway this September.

7. Shuffle Along , or, The Making of The Musical Sensation of 1921 and All That Followed
“In May 1921, the new musical Shuffle Along became the unlikeliest of hits, significantly altering the face of the Broadway musical, as well as that of New York City. By the time Shuffle Along stumbled into town after a back-breaking pre-Broadway tour, it was deeply in debt and set to open at a remote Broadway house on West 63rd Street. But with an infectious jazz score and exuberant dancing, Shuffle Along ignited not just Broadway, but all of New York City. Because of Shuffle Along, Uptown and Downtown met — and became one.” [Broadway.com]
Opening in April 2016, Shuffle Along is created anew brining the original show back to life, while incorporating the previously unknown backstage saga about the creation of the hit. Starring superstars Audra McDonald and Billy Porter, Shuffle Along is sure to make a splash this year.

8. Bright Star
In the mountains of North Carolina between 1923 and 1945, Billy Cane, a young soldier just home from the war, meets Alice Murphy, the brilliant editor of a literary journal. They discover a powerful secret that changes their lives. Bright Star premiered at San Diego’s Old Globe in 2014 and recently finished a run at the Kennedy Center in Washington, and will hit Broadway this spring.

9. Blackbird
Blackbird explores that relationship between a middle-aged man named Ray and the now 27-year old Una. They last saw each other 15 years earlier when Ray was arrested following a sexual affair between the two (Una was 12.) Una tracks him down to confront him. The play stars Jeff Daniels and Michelle Williams and opens in March.

10. She Loves Me
Staring Zachary Levi and Laura Benanti, She Loves Me follows two coworkers who aren’t friends butting heads at work. Little do they know, the anonymous pen pals they’ve been falling for are each other. She Loves Me opens March 17th.
I'm a senior Theatre Arts Production major at Hofstra University. I'm almost always at rehearsal, reading plays, seeing plays, blogging about plays, or fangirling over plays. My likes include giraffes, Britney Spears, American history and coffee.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.