This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As a horror movie fanatic who once hated the idea of a scary movie, it is possible to fall in love with the horror genre coming from a certified scaredy-cat like myself. If you are interested in exploring the world of scary movies (just in time for Halloween), grab your popcorn, fuzzy blanket, a friend and get ready to dip your toes into these three beginner friendly horror flicks!

Scream (1996)

What better way to start off a horror movie marathon than with the classic Scream? Scream was released in 1996 and made a huge splash in the film industry. The plot follows a group of high school students plotting to escape a masked killer on the loose in their small town. The original Scream does not take itself too seriously and incorporates a lot of witty humor about the subgenre of horror; slashers. Don’t be thrown off by the deceivingly gruesome name, slashers are the run-of-the-mill horror stories, and Scream is the perfect way to be introduced to them. The movie is not too gory, does not rely on too many cheap jump-scares and has characters and a plot that audiences can actually connect to. Plus, if you enjoy the original, there are several movies in the franchise to continue your Scream watching (six and counting, to be exact).

Child’s Play (1988)

To continue on with horror comedies, Don Mancini’s Child’s Play is one of the best. The movie follows a clever and hilarious doll possessed with the soul of a sarcastic serial killer. The writing of this movie is spectacular to introduce audiences to the horror subgenre of haunted dolls. But, this film is more tame then the average scary doll movie and a lot funnier too! Throw in a cute kid with the ability to outsmart a serial killer, and you have yourself Child’s Play, followed by an extensive series of sequels and TV installations.

Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

Another 1988 horror classic is Killer Klowns from Outer Space; a film so wacky and nonsensical that anyone can watch it. When audiences think of scary movies, they typically do not think of alien clowns and cotton candy tombs, but that is just what this movie provides. It is the perfect combination of silly and scary to allow non-horror fans an easy transition into the genre. Bright colors and fun music set this film apart from any other, and its hilarity can be enjoyed by even the most passionate of clown haters.

Horror movies aren’t for everyone and if you find yourself a little too spooked by these films, do not worry! There are plenty of ways to get into the Halloween spirit without scaring your pants off. However, if you are looking into sneaking your way in to the horror fandom, these movies are the way to go!

Haley Thompson is a freshman student at Hofstra University studying Public Relations and Strategic Communications with a minor in Drama. She is interested in everything music, fashion, beauty, pop-culture, and performing arts. Her interests are ever-expanding as she explores college life.