This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

After a long two-year concert hiatus due to the pandemic, 2022 was a jam-packed year for concerts. Let’s discuss some of the best concerts, tours and artists to stop by in New York this year.

Harry Styles – “Love ON TOUR”
Harry Styles singing ‘Little Freak’ at Madison Square Garden on 8/28/2022
Original photo by Xiomara Trinidad Perez

Topping the list is the man who took New York (and the nation) by storm this year – the one and only Harry Styles. The singer performed for 15 consecutive sold out nights at NYC’s iconic Madison Square Garden from August 20 to September 21, as part of his “Love On Tour.” 

Harry sang some of his most-known songs for his numerous sold out crowds, including “As It Was,” “Adore You,” “Late Night Talking” and “Watermelon Sugar.” In addition to the set list, he set aside time during his show to interact with his fans and read and comment on their signs – making no two shows exactly the same.

Harry Styles plays the guitar at Madison Square Garden on 8/28/2022

Keeping excitement levels high, Harry purposely never wore the same outfit twice. The artist surprised fans every night with a series of different extravagant outfits which inspired fans to wear their fanciest, most colorful attire to his concerts. The impromptu “fan fashion shows” became a signature element of his tour.

The energy Harry brought to MSG was unmatched by any other concert this year. After wrapping up his month-long residency, MSG gifted Harry with a permanent banner that hangs in MSG that reads, “Harry Styles 15 Consecutive Nights At The Garden.” 

After being lucky enough to experience two of Harry’s residency shows at MSG, Harry hands down had the best concert of 2022. (Getting to experience the night six “open denim jacket outfit” was truly an experience in itself.)

LIZZO – “SPECIAL TOUR”
Lizzo performing at Madison Square Garden
Original photo by Daniella McCoy

Coming in at number two for the year is Lizzo’s “Special Tour.” The show, which hit MSG October 2 and 3, was just all around good vibes from start to finish. 

Lizzo’s show was all about female empowerment. Everyone involved – from the band to the backup singers – were all women. Additionally, Lizzo’s main message of the night was self love and appreciation. She explained, “When you’re at a Lizzo show you’re about to have a self-love fest.”

Lizzo sang some of her most famous songs including “About Damn Time,” “Truth Hurts,” “Juice” and “Good As Hell.” 

Original photo by Daniella McCoy

Lizzo continually took her time to connect with her audience, often taking time to read her fans’ signs and comment on them. The singer even filmed her own Tik Tok with the audience, and took a fan’s “Be Real.” She even FaceTimed a fan’s “situationship” and projected the call for all of MSG to witness. 

There wasn’t a single moment of this show where you weren’t laughing, smiling and of course, singing and dancing along with Lizzo.

DUA LIPA – “FUTURE NOSTALGIA TOUR”

Coming in very closely behind Lizzo was Dua Lipa’s “Future Nostalgia Tour.” The third best concert of 2022 came to two New York venues: UBS Arena on February 21 and MSG on March 1. 

From the moment Dua walked onto the stage, the night was a never ending dance party. She gave her all for the sold out New York crowds, and fans quickly matched her contagious energy. 

The production of this concert is what stands out the most compared to other shows this year. Everything from the outfits, the visuals on the digital screens, the light show, and the tons of falling confetti was super colorful and vibrant. 

Dua sang many of her hit songs including “Don’t Start Now,” “Levitating,” “Break My Heart” and “New Rules.” 

Dua Lipa concert
Original photo by Daniella McCoy

As a huge fan of Dua’s album ‘Future Nostalgia,’ getting to see Dua bring the highly acclaimed pop album to life was a dream come true. There wasn’t one time during this show where you couldn’t help but dance and smile along with the rest of the fans in the audience. 

BILLIE EILISH – “HAPPIER THAN EVER, The WORLD TOUR”

Up next we have Billie Eilish’s “Happier Than Ever, The World Tour” which stopped by UBS Arena February 15, and MSG February 18 and 19. 

There was something very special about Billie’s show. Unlike the previous performances, she never left the stage during her set and had no dancers or backup singers. Billie performed on stage alone, besides occasional accompaniment on songs performed with her brother Finneas. 

Billie performed fan favorites, including “Happier Than Ever,” “Bad Guy,” “Therefore I Am” and “Everything I Wanted.” 

Billie knew how to connect and interact with her fans so well that everyone was jumping and bouncing around with her. This concert was a last minute, completely spontaneous purchase – but there were no regrets!

LIL NAS X – “LONG LIVE MONTERO TOUR”
Lil Nas X concert
Original photo by Daniella McCoy

Last but certainly not least on the list of 2022’s top performances is Lil Nas X’s “Long Live Montero Tour,” which hit Radio City Music Hall September 20 and 21.

This might be the most unique concert to hit New York this year. Lil Nas X produced the event as if it was a play. The performance had three acts which told the story of Lil Nas X’s journey, what he’s been through, and his aspirations as he continues his life’s path. The show consisted of moving set pieces, costume changes, and fans even received a playbill as a souvenir!

Lil Nas X sang his top hits such as “Industry Baby,” “Old Town Road,” and “Call Me By Your Name (Montero).”

This concert was an original, unique and fun idea – all elements that made it a very memorable experience! 

Who was your favorite concert of 2022?

Daniella is a sophomore at Hofstra University with a major in early childhood education. She is from Long Island, New York. In her free time she’s either reading, writing, scrolling on Instagram, watching Tik Toks, listening to Taylor Swift, catching up on pop culture, or spending time with her friends and sorority sisters.