toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
toa heftiba ZWKNDOjwito unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It’s that time of year again. Halloween is just around the corner! If you’re as excited as I am, you may have already picked out the perfect Halloween costume and indulged in many apple cider donuts. If you haven’t yet and need a way of getting in the spirit of the spooky season, here is a list of ten Halloween movies you need to watch!

1. Hocus Pocus 

The movie that is always on the top of my Halloween watch-list is Hocus Pocus. 300 years after being hung for witchcraft, three witches are accidentally resurrected and return to Salem, Massachusetts to take the lives of children in order to maintain their immortality. The movie follows two siblings, Max and Dani, and their friend, Allison, as the three fight to stop the witches. Oh, and there’s also a talking cat named Binx. Not much of a scary movie, but definitely worth the watch.

2. Halloweentown Trilogy 

A post shared by Jessica Jett (@jessica_jett) on

The Halloweentown trilogy are classic Disney movies that are must-watches every Halloween. The movie follows three siblings, Marnie, Dylan and Sophie, who aren’t allowed by their mother to celebrate Halloween. The three decide to run away with their grandmother to her hometown, Halloweentown, that is inhabited by many different Halloween creatures. The three kids discover their grandmother is actually a witch, and that Marnie and Sophie will both inherit her abilities someday. These movies are definitely fan-favorites and should be watched every Halloween season. 

3. A Quiet Place

A post shared by Alice Zara (@ecilazarafilm) on

New to my list this year is John Krasinski’s first ever film as both a director and a writer. This movie is definitely not for those who are easily frightened. The plot follows a family who is forced to live in complete silence due to the monsters who can’t see, but hunt people by sound. This, without a doubt, isn’t your typical horror movie. It is a suspense-filled thriller that will leave you on the edge of your seat and may have you tip-toeing around for a little while. 

4. Twitches 

A post shared by Twitches (@twitches_amulets) on

Twitches follows twin sisters who were separated at birth after a darkness took over their homeland. They are sent to earth by their mother for protection and the two find each other years later on their twenty-first birthdays. Along with realizing that they’re sisters, the two also discover they have magical powers. They must learn how to control their abilities and work together in order to defeat the darkness and save their homeland. Don’t forget to watch the sequel, Twitches 2, as well. 

5. The Addams Family

A post shared by Mike D. (@douceyd) on

If you thought your family was weird, wait until you watch this movie. When Gomez Addams tells his lawyer that he hasn’t seen or spoken to his brother, Fester, in years, his lawyer decides to use this to her advantage. She sends her son to the Addams’ house to pretend to be the long-lost brother in hopes the two can steal from the Addams’ vault. The mission proves difficult, though, when the fake Fester has trouble fitting in with the strange family. With characters such as Thing (a disembodied hand) and It (the very hairy cousin), why wouldn’t you want to watch?

6. The Shining 

A post shared by Mr. Awesome (@brianalex49047) on

Although this movie is on the older side, it still holds its place on the Halloween movie list. The plot follows a man named Jack Torrance who becomes a caretaker at an isolated hotel. His wife and son move with him, but things take a turn for the worse when the dark secrets of the hotel become unveiled. Jack starts to turn into a crazed, homicidal madman and becomes determined to terrorize his family. You might not be able to trust your own family for a little while after watching. 

7. Coraline 

A post shared by 서아린 (@nohyoweon1018) on

Although this movie may look like one for children, it has been known to disturb even adults. A young girl named Coraline finds a secret door while she is investigating her new home that leads to another world. In many ways this new world is the same as her own, and Coraline enjoys her life in the other world until her other family tries to force her to stay with them forever. How do they do this, you might wonder? They try to sew button eyes onto Coraline that will match their own. Creepy. This animated movie might just give you nightmares.

8. Edward Scissorhands 

A post shared by Jessica (@missgorejessica) on

If you’re looking for a Halloween movie with a twist of romance, this is the one for you. Edward was created by a scientist that passed away before he could be completed, leaving Edward with a bizarre appearance and, you guessed it, scissors for hands. A woman discovers Edward and decides to bring him to her home where he meets (and falls in love with) her teenage daughter. With Johnny Depp and Wynona Ryder, what more could you want?

9. The Nightmare Before Christmas

A post shared by McCurtain Cinema (@mccurtaincinema) on

This is a movie that has been controversial as to whether it is a Halloween or a Christmas movie. In my opinion, with characters like Oogie Bogie and its overall creepiness, how could it not be for Halloween? Jack Skeleton, a.k.a. the Pumpkin King, becomes bored with Halloween and wants to find something that excites him again. When Jack accidentally stumbles upon Christmas Town, he tries to get all the creatures of Halloween to put on Christmas instead. Although it may not sound so creepy, don’t underestimate the spooky factor of this movie.

10. It

A post shared by IT Movie (@itmovieofficial) on

Another new movie to the list this year is It. The adaption of one of Stephen King’s most popular novels will not only frighten you, it may permanently scar you as well. Seven children in the fictional town of Derry, Maine have to face off against an evil shape shifter that can transform into one’s greatest fear. The creature is best known as the clown, Pennywise, and it only appears from the town’s sewers every twenty-seven years. Each of the seven must face their greatest fears and come together to kill It. Fair warning, this movie is not for the faint of heart. Now that you know what movies to watch, you can get in the Halloween spirit! So grab your pumpkin spice latte and some candy corn, because you better start watching if you want to make it through these spooky movies!

Kiera is a junior at Hofstra University where she is pursuing a double major in Journalism and Global Studies with a minor in Creative Writing. When she's not studying or writing articles, you can probably find her somewhere in Manhattan or Brooklyn. After college, she aspires to be an author and a travel writer.