Staying Connected: A New Age of Technology

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Technology is so common in our world. Feeling attached to our phones has nearly become an epidemic. It is almost impossible to leave the house without our mobile devices. What was once a convenience is now a necessity. And while millennials are constantly criticized for their addiction to technology, this dependence is not necessarily our fault.

Nomophobia is the fear of being out of mobile contact. But this fear is actually very understandable. Think about the last time you needed to contact someone in a hurry. Or the time you were informed right away about a breaking news story. Or even the time you had the ability to communicate with someone living far away. These insignificant life events would be so much more complicated and exhausting – almost impossible – without our cell phones. As bad a rep as college kids get for being plugged into their mobile devices, it’s inevitable to not want your phone on you at all times.

Our phones have become a thin, shiny security blanket. We feel safe with them in our hands, knowing a person is not far out of reach. And while this attachment causes concerns for our communication skills and patience, our world has expanded because of this technology. And what we fail to remember, is we are not alone in this cell phone-obsessed world. Technology continuously has our back, and companies are always inventing new ways to keep us connected without a second thought.

This got me thinking, how convenient would it be to charge our phones into literally anything and everything? It is almost 2016 and we still can’t charge our phones in the pocket of our jeans yet, seriously? Or what about our endless purses? I’m sure some sort of outlet could fit there (and probably get lost with all our other crap).

My point is, as accessible as our cells are; outlets always seem to be far out of reach. And watching your screen go black and that empty low battery pop up sends a knot spiral down to your stomach.

And just like that, with my constant complaining and wishing for some cool new invention, it came to me. Apparently, some tech whizzes agreed with me and wanted to make life easier and created an umbrella you can charge your phone in. How awesome? Can’t find an outlet in sight? No big deal, I’ll just plug my phone into my ZON Powersol umbrella. Now I’m just waiting for this guy to invent a charger in my bra strap. Hey, you never know.

When it comes down to it, we don’t want to constantly worry about our phones battery life throughout the day, and going hours without scrolling through your newsfeed is easier said than done. With companies constantly creating convenient tools to help prevent the phobia of losing contact, we have nothing to stress.

So continue to check your email and update your Twitter, if your battery runs out, you can always plug it into your umbrella. 

Dena is a Journalism major with a Psychology minor at Hofstra University. She has a passion for writing and all things that sparkle. You can find her reorganizing her room for the umpteenth time, crafting, making montages of her cats, and finishing a pint of Ben and Jerry's ice cream. Her unhealthy shopping addiction and love/hate relationship with Pinterest keep life interesting. Follow her on twitter @denarachel
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.