9545DD32 2A32 4516 ABE4 394FD02AAD87JPG?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
9545DD32 2A32 4516 ABE4 394FD02AAD87JPG?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Melanie Haid
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

With daylight savings behind us and the sun shining, it’s the perfect time to try out some bold new styles this season. With so many to choose from, you can test these trends out to your level of comfort and work your way up. Each of these runways and throwback inspired styles is unique, but absolutely doable in their own ways and can be tweaked to fit your own personal style. 

Neon

This new trend is picking up speed fast, but it isn’t for the faint of heart. Neon to any degree will make you stand out, so trying out this trend with tank tops or hair accessories is a great way to get more comfortable with it. A few months from now, I hope you’re confident enough to sport the full highlighter look.

A post shared by Charlotte Russe (@charlotterusse) on

Clear

This transparent trend doesn’t stop with clear bags and backpacks– it’s expanded to clothes as well, including raincoats, shirts, pants and anything in-between. It’s a fun way to experiment with layers and show ‘em more. This trend is definitely for the bold, but using bags and other accessories to ease into this without being too revealing.

A post shared by Billini Shoes (@billinishoes) on

Mom jeans

Skin-tight jeans, move out of the way. We’re opting for the looser, high-waisted mom and boyfriend jeans and they’re not going away anytime soon. While they tend to be baggier, these jeans still accentuate your waist and hip area, so fear not skinny jean lovers.

A post shared by Garage (@garageclothing) on

Animal Print

Not to be biased, but animal print is here to stay. Every season, designers seem to find unique ways to use animal prints in different ways, and aren’t holding back. I don’t have any leopard print shoes yet, but the way things are going, I will soon enough.

leopard print top
Original photo by Melanie Haid

Photo courtesy of Melanie Haid

Platform sandals

Whether they have cork bottoms or are all white or all black, these sandals bring us back to 70’s summer styles. They’re not only airy but also give you relatively even height without putting stress on one part of your foot over another. They can be worn casually or dressed up – there’s almost no limit to what you can wear these with.

Photo courtesy of Melanie Haid

Fanny packs

These small, convenient bags were though to be a passing fad, but are still going strong and still evolving in new and interesting ways every season. You can truly incorporate any trend into these bags and sling them around your hips or your shoulders. As the trend grows, fanny packs are clear, plaid, animal print, leather, and anything else you could wrap your mind around.

X-Girl sunglasses

These sunglasses scream the 80’s and 90’s, and give a sophisticated techno vibe off. There are many varieties of these, including very colorful ones to soft edges to sharp corners.

Biker Shorts

It started off as a 90’s athleisure trend, but it’s grown to include even business casual looks. You can play it safe with black biker shorts, or go with bold patterns. This trend is currently limited to only the most daring trendsetters, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try. After all, they’re exceptionally comfortable, even if they’re not explicitly your style (yet).

A post shared by forever21 (@forever21) on

Puffed shoulders and square necklines

If you whipped out your cookbook and mixed the 80’s with Renaissance style, you’d get this trend. While not always necessary both in the same piece, puffed shoulders are a staple of vintage-loving trendsetters and definitely turn heads. Square necklines, though a bit more subtle, throw it back to medieval dresses but are sure to be seen everywhere on shirts and dresses alike this spring.

Whether your style is bold or casual, you can incorporate the trends of spring into your wardrobe. Let the colors come to you and the trends filter themselves into your outfits this season. With so much to choose from, there’s something you can fit into your looks no matter your fashion comfort level. Take the warm weather and run with it!

Melanie is a senior journalism major at Hofstra University and an avid fashion and thrift-y gal. She also loves dogs and finds paint-by-numbers to be extremely calming. Always overdressed and has definitely had at least one cup of coffee. She is not only extremely sarcastic, but will be your own personal hypewoman if you'll let her.