alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

So You Don’t Have a Mans: Here’s How to Get Through V-Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Another year means another Valentine’s Day, and in my case, another day to remind me of how single I am. Many find that Valentine’s Day is a pointless holiday; believing that it’s just a way for chocolate companies to make more money, and you know what, you’re absolutely correct. As someone who has never had a “mans” to share Valentine’s Day with, I’ve come to the point where February 14th is simply just another day of the year. Yet, it still stings a bit watching all of your friends out with their loved ones on social media, which is why I have come up with 7 things YOU can do if you’re a single gal trying to get through Valentine’s Day.

A post shared by Ben & Jerry’s (@benandjerrys) on

Treat Yo’self.

Today is all about you so why not give yourself some ~extra~ love today. Treat yourself to your favorite ice cream, movie, and anything that brings you happiness. My favorite thing to do is watch “Valentine’s Day” (because who doesn’t love a rom com that is PACKED with all of your favorite stars?), alongside the always trustworthy men in my life, Ben and Jerry.

A post shared by Marie (@journalspiration) on

Crack out the journal.

Often times I find that on days that cause me to reflect on where I am in my life, I like to bring out my journal and write about goals that I’d like to accomplish, and where I would like to see myself in a year. This emphasizes the focus on ME, which is super nice because today is all about loving yourself!

The GAZE is updated with bold embroidery.

A post shared by Steve Madden (@stevemadden) on

Splurge on a gift for yourself.

Being in a relationship would mean worrying about what to get your significant other, and if they will like it or not – or even worrying if you’ll like what they get you. When you’re single, you can buy yourself a gift and know that you will like it. Who doesn’t love that? If you’ve been eyeing that Urban Outfitters sweater or Steve Madden pair of boots, now is the time to splurge a bit because when you’re not in a relationship, this day is all about you.

A post shared by Tiffany | SEATTLE (@tiffanyish) on

Celebrate being ~single~ with your other single friends.

Not only are you single, but I am pretty sure that you have at least a couple of other friends that are single as well. Get together and have a Galentine’s Day dinner party or go out and celebrate each other and your friendships. That way you don’t have to worry about being alone on this day and can surround yourself with your favorite people.

A post shared by FLARE (@flaremag) on

Spread the Love

Valentine’s Day shouldn’t have to be the only day you express your love for someone, it should be everyday. However, if you’re in the spirit of the holiday, give a random stranger a compliment or do a random act of kindness. By spreading love to those around you, you’ll most likely feel better in return, and who doesn’t love to feel great about themselves?

A post shared by ALEXIS REN (@alexisren) on

Remind yourself you don’t need a ‘mans.’

Of course it can be hard to not want to be in a relationship when everywhere you turn, it seems that someone is cuffed and out celebrating the day with their loved one. Keep in mind, that today is just one day out of the year and you’ll probably go back to being content with your relationship status tomorrow. Relationships are complicated and they get even more complicated on days like this where you feel that your relationship has to be out in the open. When you only have to worry about yourself, it makes life a lot more simple, and ultimately, a lot happier.

Embrace the #single life.

Honestly, being single is pretty fun. You get to do whatever you want, when you want to, and you don’t have to worry about pleasing anyone except yourself. There are so many years ahead to be in a relationship, but being young and in college is the best time to be single because you can find yourself and you don’t need a significant other to help you with that.

Happy Valentine’s Day everyone, you are all my valentine’s this year xoxo

Originally from Southern California and now living on Long Island! I am a self-declared sushi addict who enjoys good music and good people x (p.s. if anyone knows how to survive an east coast winter, please let me know!!)