photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Snoozed All Summer? Here’s What You Might Have Missed.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

*Trigger Warning* This article discusses the Jeffrey Epstein case, which includes sexual assault, harassment, and suicide. 

Honestly, if you snoozed all summer, you are my personal hero. I did the exact opposite and overworked myself yet again. But that’s neither here nor there. SO much happened in the past three months, and I am here to provide a rundown of all that you might have missed. Buckle up, kids. This summer was a bumpy ride.

Let’s start with some updates on celebs before we get into the anxiety-inducing section on politics and news.

Lizzo basically owned the summer of 2019

This is not up for debate. Even though she didn’t win Best New Artist at the VMA’s, she won the hearts of America yet again with her amazing performance. Oh, and she has also used her platform to call attention to the Black Lives Matter movement and injustices committed against trans people. Hot Girl Summer who? It’s been Lizzo all the way.

Miley Cyrus and Liam Hemsworth called it quits

The whole world cried. Then Miley Cyrus was seen kissing Kaitlynn Carter (Brody Jenner’s ex) while on vacation. Liam made a very admirable and caring post on Instagram about the split. Miley Cyrus later defended herself on Twitter against people who claimed her alleged infidelity was what caused the break-up. Drama. 

Joe Jonas and Sophie Turner got married!!!

While they did have their hilarious Vegas wedding in May, the two later tied the knot again in France in early July. They both looked beautiful and so happy. The pair continues to be a fun-loving and genuinely adorable couple. Please enjoy this beautiful pic of their wedding. 

The 2020 Democractic candidates are continuing their fight

We had the first round of debates featuring the 20+ Democratic candidates, all of whom were trying to stand out in such a large crowd. Highlights include Kamala Harris calling out Joe Biden for his remarks on segregationist senators, Tulsi Gabbard then calling out Kamal Harris, and Marianne Williamson becoming a Twitter meme.

The next debate only allows for 10 candidates to appear. In order to qualify, candidates must have received at least 2% support in early DNC-approved polling and accepted donations from a minimum of 130,000 individual donors. The ten remaining candidates are (in alphabetical order): Joe Biden, Cory Booker, Pete Buttigieg, Julián Castro, Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Beto O’Rourke, Bernie Sanders, Elizabeth Warren, and Andrew Yang. NPR has a good visual and outline here

President Trump and President Xi Jinping of China are in a trade war

Economists are concerned about how the increased tariffs and tensions between the two nations could affect the US economy. Some top political and economic commentators are wary of a possible recession, the possibility of which rests for some part on the future of US and Chinese foreign and economic relations. 

The Amazon rainforest is burning, and people are rightfully concerned

At the recent G-7 summit (a meeting in which leaders from Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the UK, and the US meet to discuss pressing issues), leaders extended over $20 million in aid to Brazil. The Brazilian President rejected the aid due to condescending comments made by French President Emanuel Macron. Brazil’s President might reconsider if Macron issues a public apology.

Jeffrey Epstein committed suicide in his cell before his trial could start

Epstein has been accused of sexual assault, harassment, and rape by over twenty women. In addition, he was charged with sex trafficking of minors. While some are skeptical of Epstein’s suicide, believing that outsiders played a role in his death, the focus needs to remain on the survivors of Epstein’s crimes. Some of the women recently spoke out against him in court, ensuring that their voices are not silenced. 

Protests in Hong Kong are still raging

The demonstrations are against a proposed extradition bill that protestors believe would make them subordinate to China and other surrounding nations. Hundreds of thousands of people have joined the streets, and there are many allegations arising against alleged police brutality.

You made it! Hopefully, you feel a little bit more caught up. Now take advantage of those last snoozes and naps before class starts and maybe subscribe to a daily newsletter.

Becca Lo Presti is a junior at Hofstra University, where she is pursuing a BA in History with minors in Art History and French. She interns at the Nassau County Museum of Art and is also an on-campus Fellow at the Center for Civic Engagement. Huge fan of podcasts, dislikes the fact that she had to start drinking coffee this semester.