Snapshot: Nadeem Deeb ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Nadeem Deeb

Year: 2019

Major: Psychology

Emily Barnes: What made you choose a major in psychology and a minor disability studies?

Nadeem Deeb: I’ve worked with children all throughout high school and I enjoyed helping them with the issues they had even though they were small. Even the little things, I loved it and they learned from everything I’ve ever told them which made me somewhat proud. Like I actually did something useful! I loved working with those kids and I miss them everyday! I decided I wanted to do a disability studies minor because I also wanted the chance to work with children with disabilities and see what goes through their mind.

EB: What’s your favorite part of working with children?

ND: My favorite part is that they teach me something new every day. It’s a really nice experience and I teach them new things about life as well.

EB: What kind of work do you want to do after you graduate?

ND: After graduation I would like to do school counseling or child psychology.

EB: What skills are required in order to be a good child psychologist or counselor?

ND: Patience is key! Creativity and a motivating attitude are everything.

EB: Do you think the courses you’ve taken thus far in your major are good preparation for you?

ND: Yes!! I’ve been taking child development and learning all about how they think, mature and grow, and what environments are best for them. I’ve also been taking other psychology courses that have taught me a lot.

Sophomore. Journalism major with a minor in Global Studies. I like Lifetime movies, eclectic music and those little meatballs from IKEA.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.