This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As we finally crawl out of the winter’s cold clutches, the itch to go out and have a day or two in New York City only becomes more and more apparent. While it is still fun to be in the city during the colder days, it is more limiting to have to stick to indoor activities and layer our clothes to protect us from the bitter winter. The warmer weather not only makes it easier to fully enjoy time in the city, but it also provides us with more activities. You can leave your Hot Hands at home for these six outdoor activities.

1. Washington Square Park

There’s not much that can compare to the soft and gentle feeling of the first warm days of the year and the best place to feel that is none other than Washington Square Park. With the street musicians, the light bustle of activity and, of course, the rather high concentration of canines, it’s easy to feel as though you’re one of the small flowers lining the paths coming into bloom. This park is always an exciting place to explore, whether you’re a people watcher or an activity seeker or a little bit of both. For example, seeing the number of dogs being walked or playing in the dog area always puts one in a better mood, and the musicians who play the old wooden pianos never fail to produce a tune that’s gentle on the ear. Additionally, a bench in Washington Square Park is easily the best place to enjoy the best sesame bagel you’ll ever have, so it’s highly convenient that Brooklyn Bagel and Coffee Co. (home of the best bagels in the city) is located just a few steps away from this park. 

1. Chelsea Flea Market

Shopping in New York City is already a special kind of shopping experience, but shopping outside in New York City during the first warm weeks of the year is even better. Located on West 25th Street between Broadway and 6th avenue, the Chelsea flea market is active every weekend from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Here, you can find all sorts of vintage artwork, clothes and jewelry, as well as various antiques. If you’ve never been to an outdoor flea market before, take a scroll through their Instagram to see the wide variety of items that are sold every weekend. You never know if you’ll leave with wall decor or a vintage outfit, and that’s the beauty of the place- besides the fact that you’re giving money to individual vendors, therefore helping small artists thrive.

1. South Street Seaport

Warm weather always draws one a little closer to the waterfront, and the South Street Seaport is an ideal place to shop, listen to some music, see some art or enjoy a meal. Constantly bustling, the Seaport is a perfect location for those who love the “nautical vibe” as well as the urban experience. The Seaport also hosts various events from art exhibitions, yoga classes, film screenings and even concerts in the summer (yes, Billie Eilish and Lil Nas X have both performed here.) The contemporary crowd that frequents this sprawling hub of culture and history makes the Seaport feel like something out of a movie and having the East River in the background just caps off the experience.

1. The Brooklyn Bridge

As touristy as it sounds, this activity absolutely belongs on the list. Walking the Brooklyn Bridge is nothing short of therapeutic. Staring out at the water and feeling the wind on your face just makes you realize how small our problems are; you just start to feel like one of the billions of souls enamored by a beautiful city, and everything else is insignificant, and you and the city are all that seem to matter for a while. It doesn’t matter if you’re with others and having a long conversation or alone and just taking everything in (or hey, even listening to music) because a good walk along the Brooklyn Bridge never misses. 

1. Central Park

Central Park speaks for itself, being 843 acres worth of unique outdoor city experiences. This park truly is a plethora of activities, spanning the Upper East Side to the Upper West. There’s always room for a picnic, there’s always a place to take a photo (spot the bridge from Disney’s Enchanted) and there’s always room to walk or bike. The park has plenty of history to observe as well, and it’s home to the renowned Central Park Zoo. Although outdoor concerts are offered occasionally, there’s nothing quite like the pleasant mixture of tunes coming from the various street musicians. You don’t have to necessarily plan ahead if you plan on stopping at or walking through Central Park, this is one of those places where you’re guaranteed a true New York City adventure.

1. Lower East Side Street Art 

Last but not least, the Lower East Side is always worth a wander for the sake of seeing the myriad of street art. It’s the equivalent of a free outdoor museum in a way; a disorganized and spread-out museum along the streets. Some murals have political statements, other murals are memory markers. Still, murals are merely cute, pleasant, and there for viewers’ pleasure. This, to be clear, is more than graffiti. The street art in these areas exemplifies the culture of New York City from all sides. In addition to being lined with colorful murals, the streets of the Lower East Side are filled with small businesses where you can stop and enjoy a handcrafted espresso or buy a new pair of jeans before venturing back out into the vibrant streets. 

New York City is truly ready and waiting for anyone who’s looking for outdoor activities as spring blooms. There’s always something to do, somewhere to go and there’s always an adventure waiting to be had (that will soon become a story to tell). It doesn’t matter if you’re alone or with friends- New York City is never a bad time in the warm weather and sunshine.

Meredith Julia Muirhead is a Drama major and Musical Theatre minor from Long Island, NY. When not found performing or writing, Meredith can be found either playing the piano, listening to Alanis Morissette, or drinking matcha lattes from the nearest coffee shop.