body images 2020 01 06 Starbucks20Oatmilk20Honey20Lattejpg?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
body images 2020 01 06 Starbucks20Oatmilk20Honey20Lattejpg?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

A Scientific Ranking of the Starbucks Non-Dairy Milks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

One of the best things about Starbucks is the endless options of flavors, drink types and kinds of milk. When you walk into a Starbucks, you are met with a wide variety of dairy-free options for your drinks. You can really get something a little different every time just to see which option you like best. All of them are good, but some of them reign supreme when compared to the others. Here is my definitive ranking of the Starbucks non-dairy milk options!

Soy Milk

Soy milk is always my go-to when I am at Starbucks. When looking at the non-dairy milk options, some work well with certain drinks, and others do not. Soy is the equilibrium. Soy milk goes perfectly with any drink on the menu, and it offers a creaminess that some of the other milks lack. Also, I feel like soy milk is the most flavorless and definitely the most similar to dairy milk in that aspect. It goes with any flavor on the menu, and overall, it just makes a great drink. Because of this, I feel like anyone could try soy as an alternative and be satisfied with their drink.

Oat Milk

As the newest addition to the non-dairy milk family at Starbucks, oat milk is already a fan favorite, so much so that many stores nationwide are running out of it. Oat milk is amazing and works perfectly with Starbucks’ new Brown Sugar Oatmilk Shaken Espresso drink. It offers a similar creaminess to soy milk, and definitely tastes great in a large variety of the drinks on the menu. It has a slight oat flavor to it which I enjoy, but some might not want that from their milk. Because it is slightly less universal as far as its use, I had to put it below soy, but it is still a great choice for your Starbucks trip.

Coconut Milk

My first experience with coconut milk at Starbucks was with the Pink Drink, which is one of my favorites, but it is definitely useful for more than just that. It is creamy and has a sweetness to it, which I really like. It’s definitely more creamy than almond milk, but it doesn’t work as well in some of the other drinks as the soy or oat milk. Personally, I don’t really find myself wanting to reach for it when I am ordering a latte or another drink, but the times I have, it has been fine. I feel like it is a bit underwhelming in comparison to the others.

Almond Milk

This may come as a shock to some, but almond milk is at the bottom of my list. Although it’s one of my original faves, I never really find myself adding it to my drink anymore. The almond flavor works well in nutty drinks but sometimes can ruin the flavors of what you are drinking. It is also the least creamy of the dairy-free milks and doesn’t give the same effect to the coffee that a lot of people look for. It is a great option to have, but I think the others are just much better in terms of flavor, texture and overall vibe.

No matter what you choose, whenever you go to Starbucks, you’ll have a great experience. Each of their non-dairy milk options has pros and cons, but it is up to you to choose which one works best for you. Next time you are in line getting ready to order, maybe switch it up and try something totally new! You never know which dairy-free milk could be perfect for you.

Hi there, I'm Liz! I'm a junior public relations major at Hofstra University and a member of Phi Sigma Sigma. I am a fun loving, spontaneous Jersey girl with a slight Starbucks addiction. You can always find me making new Spotify playlists, binging something new on Netflix or watching football (Go Ravens!).