jiroe b9kh72kOcdM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jiroe b9kh72kOcdM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash

Review Of “Shakes”: Luke Hemmings Latest Single Off His Upcoming EP “boy”

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

jE9xQJVuH FZkkKO5mQEdMENK6o1wAgSKDrtOR9urnjvVs1WpwBhRLrYjIYsqCo6LqpgLPFZTuAJxgtG7I 0I70Sd5jOhqoT 3apmFUGvUZpKw4bWzYEeCcCZ3

On March 6, 2024, Luke Hemmings, the lead singer of the band 5 Seconds of Summer, released his newest single, “Shakes,” off of his upcoming EP titled “boy.” This will be his second composition of independent work apart from the band, as he released his debut album “When Facing the Things We Turn Away From” in August 2021. His first album was music that showcased his emotions and experiences of the last ten years of his life when he finally had time to sit down and write during the COVID-19 pandemic. Over the last three years, Luke has been able to focus on writing some more original pieces and hopes to show his personal evolution to his fans through this new EP and single. “Shakes” alone broadcasts this new light Luke Hemmings is bringing to his career, and here are my own thoughts and opinions on this brilliant new song!

The Production

Most of Luke Hemmings’s music can be described as melancholy and poetic. He is an extremely talented lyricist when it comes to songwriting, with a very personable and touching style. This continues on in reference to his newest single, “Shakes.” The song begins with angelic harmonizing of his own voice mixed with some synth instrument production and guitar riffs. As he begins singing the lyrics, drums are introduced. All of these musical additions together mesh very well and help develop the song even more.

The Lyrics

Going back to the beautiful lyrics of Luke’s music, my favorite line from this song in particular has to be verse two:

“I feel it coming; my blood is wine.

Oh, I can’t help but chase you, my butterfly.

I want to go out in my sleep now (Ah), so I don’t feel no pain.

The city tends to move on all the same.”

The way in which he sings these lyrics just feels so special. When I heard them for the first time, it touched my heart and was immediately my favorite lyric. The line “I can’t help but chase you, my butterfly” is one that can be relatable in many different forms, about relationships, friendships, and even your own emotions. The chorus:

“Honey, I just wanna be yours. wanna be yours.

Inside your dreams tonight

Oh, no, oh, no

Can’t shake this feelin’

Boy, I just wanna bе yours, wanna be yours

Inside your dreams tonight

Oh, no, oh, no

Can’t shake this feelin’”

Reiterates this idea of yearning and coming to conclusions about your feelings. This song is not only special musically, but lyrically, it is mesmerizing.

NxvS2vibn5dabFCDObzxBCpS9iBJL

Stream “Shakes” Now!

Now that you have my personal review of “Shakes,” you must check it out for yourself! It is an incredibly well-written and produced song that evokes this downhearted feeling through its lyrics but makes you want to dance with its upbeat and lively melodies. Just as many other songs written by Luke Hemmings do. You can now pre-save his upcoming EP “boy” on all streaming platforms and even pre-order vinyls, CDs, and other merchandise items through his website. I hope you enjoy the song as much as I did when I repeatedly listened to it at 2 p.m. on Wednesday, and I’ll leave you with this message from Luke himself…

“I wrote these songs at a moment in my life when I was a stranger to stillness… I was constantly surrounded by people in bustling cities, yet remanded, wrought with loneliness. These songs were born on planes and hotel room notepads, scribbles on napkins, and sketches outside the margins of an old book. It was during this process that I faced just how emotional I am. The more I realized I have the heart of a boy who just wants to be home. I hope you can find yourself in these songs and feel your own experiences in them. I’m excited to continue to take you into this melancholy world with me, and I hope you love “Shakes. x Luke.”

cq7c pBGHI9RfN8HVIIokVdJj3z78aEYdQyVkI xriGbFoBR8JtsVI6gUg8qhJXAjy2cEgFcjc3sRaQsRGMHSdlBmLMPrry0TnMDJ6w jbqDExIiD2t

Heddi Wells

Hofstra '26

Heddi Wells is a sophomore at Hofstra University. She is from Connecticut and is majoring in Music Business with a minor in Social Media Marketing. She is interested in writing about pop culture, fashion and beauty trends, music, and the music industry.