Remembering Audrey Hepburn: 11 Facts that Make Her Still Beloved

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

On this day 87 years ago, actress and humanitarian Audrey Hepburn was born. While it has been many years since she’s passed, her legacy lives on, making her one of the most iconic actresses to ever live. In Hepburn’s honor, here are some rare facts that make her so easy to adore!

She had a pet deer

To get comfortable with the fawn to be used in her 1959 film Green Mansions, Hepburn kept the baby deer at her house. Being the animal lover she was, she decided to keep the deer even after the filming was finished!

She never thought of herself as a style icon

It has been noted that Hepburn could never understand why people thought she was beautiful. She was very critical of her own appearance and considered her style to be very plain.

She survived the Nazi invasion

As a child, she lived in a town invaded by Nazis. While many, including her relatives, were killed or starved to death, Hepburn worked for the Dutch Resistance by carrying secret messages in her ballet slippers and putting on performances to raise money.

She was fluent in five languages

English, Italian, Dutch, Spanish, and French!

She’s in the EGOT club

Hepburn is one of few actresses to have won an Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony award. She won her first Academy Award for her first film, Roman Holiday, and accidentally left the statuette in the bathroom!

Givenchy was her personal stylist

She originally aspired to be a ballerina

Hepburn intensely studied ballet in hopes of becoming a prima ballerina, but she was often shut down for being too tall.

Disney’s Princess Aurora was inspired by Hepburn

She actually hated danish pastries

Hepburn hated having to eat the danish pastry in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, which became one of the most iconic scenes of cinematic history. She constantly begged the directors to let her eat an ice cream cone instead.

She retired early to spend time with her children

She was a Goodwill Ambassador of UNICEF

Happy birthday, Audrey! We miss you!

Jersey girl. Senior Accounting major at Hofstra University. Treasurer for Hofstra's Her Campus chapter. Raven loves entertainment, fashion, and fitness, and has a true passion for journalism. Be sure to check out her favorite form of social media, Pinterest: /ravenjtak
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.