RECAP: Hofstra Fall Fest 2013

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Floats! Performances! Carnival rides! Family! Alumni! School spirit! Ke$ha?! Another successful Fall Fest in the bag!

Every fall, Hofstra University pulls out all the stops to celebrate all that our school has to offer and this year was no exception. Here’s a round up of the weekend’s events.

Saturday’s family reception breakfast allowed students to reconnect with their parents and enjoy club performance before watching the parade of club and organization floats at noon. All of the floats, constructed by Hofstra Greek Life and organizations like Danceworks, SGA and The Chronicle, were made along this year’s theme, famous movies. Classic films like Batman, Monsters INC. and Toy Story were brought to life as Hofstra’s pep band, cheer and dance teams led the precession.

Next, family and friends were treated a little home grown entertainment on the Fall Fest main stage by Hofstra’s own performance clubs including IMANI Dance Ensemble and Sigma Acapella. Audience members could take part in the numerous carnival rides, bouncy houses and rock wall as HU announced its 2013 Homecoming King and Queen, Justin Smith and Rachel Tom-Quinn.

From 2:30 to 8 pm, Vibe Live concert coordinators basically took us on a musical time warp, starting with Bon Journey, the Bon Jovi/Journey cover band, 90’s Pop sensation Sugar Ray and ending with the glitter gladiator herself, Ke$ha. Evenly spaced throughout the evening and meant to please all ages, each act brought their own personality and showmanship to the large stage in Vibe Live history. Ke$ha even brought her brigade of sparkling backup dancers, a killer lead guitarist and enough glitter cannons and blow up dolls to get any party started. Some Hofstra collegiettes even sported mountains of glitter, floral crowns, ripped tights, leather and holy shorts to mimick Ke$ha signature “Sleazy” style.

After the traditional fireworks display, a Fall Fest staple, patrons with tickets headed over to the Mack Arena for a one hour show with Mr, “Treat Yo Self Day”, comedian Aziz Ansari. His hour and a half set got rave reviews from students and parents alike.

After numerous laughs, sugar highs and glitter infusions, we winded down …or might’ve continued to turn up ;) … for the night, filing another great Fall Fest  in the books.

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!