Profile: The Wonders of the Writing Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Its that time of the year again, the dreaded finals week. Long nights and endless hours of studying will be fueled by a caffeine overload, but Hofstra has something to make your time a little easier. Heard of the Writing Center?

Located in room 102 of Mason Hall, the Writing Center is run by students who are graduates and undergraduates, as well as faculty members. Their writing services are individualized per person to ensure your specific needs are met.

The confidential tutoring covers all majors and minors, assisting in test preparation and writing assignments.

“I remember first finding out about the writing center at the school when I took my first tour. Right then and there I knew that I would have to remember that was available for me. Throughout most of my undergrad I didn’t ever take advantage of it because I felt I was doing fine without it. This year is my senior year and I started going there for more advanced assignments and I definitely regret waiting so long!” said Alexandra Bernsen, about her experience there.

While some do use the Writing Center, it is a very under-utilized tool. The faculty and students provide so much help to students and give a lot of effort to help them succeed.

Another student Mary Young said, “I started using the writing lab when the grades I was receiving weren’t making me helpful. My professor gave me the opportunity to revise an assignment and I didn’t know the first thing to do to improve my grade. I worked with a grad student who really helped me. Not only did he help me correct my mistakes, but he also taught me what I did wrong.”

With lots of paper due dates approaching fast, visit the Writing Center. You can schedule an appointment online or in person!

Taylor is a Junior at Hofstra University, majoring in Journalism and double minoring in English and Political Science. Hofstra is the third college she has attended and she plans on it being her last! She is a self-proclaimed cupcake connoisseur and Netflix enthusiast. She can often be found in a mountain of pillows, sipping hot tea or obsessing over how cute her dog is. If she isn't cocooned in blankets, she is probably at the softball field or sitting on a beach somewhere. Taylor is an aspiring writer and editor, and although she isn't exactly sure where she will be after college she hopes to one day work for a magazine and publish children's books.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.