Profile: Office of Study Abroad Programs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Have you ever dreamt of traveling, but worried once you graduate you won’t have any time?Now’s your chance! Take a vacation while going to school!

How does Cuba, England, Belize or Florence sound? Or maybe Germany, Athens, Japan or Spain?

Stop by the Office of Study Abroad Programs in Roosevelt Hall (room 107) on the Southside of campus and schedule a meeting with a Dean to discuss your plans. The deadline for Spring Semester has already passed, but now is the perfect time to start thinking about next Fall. It is important to plan with financial aid and consider how you will pay and of course, whether it is right for you. Also, it is important to make sure you credits will transfer and it meets your major’s requirements.

Their are plenty of study abroad options that are non-Hofstra programs, available to students. Considering that you will be taking courses through or at another University, you must also take into consideration the decision time of those applications. I had spoken with the Assistant Dean of Study Abroad Programs when I transferred to Hofstra and must say, Professor Fixell really helped me understand the program. Although I went ahead and decided this year wouldn’t be the best time for me to travel, I plan to reconsider when this semester ends. The staff in the office is super welcoming and helpful when answering questions. If you are considering studying abroad definitely schedule a personal meeting because you will get a broader understanding of what each program entails.

Many former and current Hofstra students have reiterated the significance of studying abroad and how they are forever impacted and grateful for the opportunity. As a study abroad student, you create exciting memories and everlasting friendships.

Naledi Ushe, junior at Hofstra University, said, “I loved study abroad, as they say once you study abroad you never stop talking about it. You really immerse yourself into the country you go to almost to the degree that coming back becomes reverse culture shock because you have such a new perspective. My advice if you want to is to consider multiple options within and outside your school, figure out if you want to go to an English speaking country or not and don’t hold back with questions!”

Depending on your field of study, it can really benefit you to be able to communicate with other people from different cultures and really learn about the world.

Contact the Office of Study Abroad Programs at 516-463-4765

Taylor is a Junior at Hofstra University, majoring in Journalism and double minoring in English and Political Science. Hofstra is the third college she has attended and she plans on it being her last! She is a self-proclaimed cupcake connoisseur and Netflix enthusiast. She can often be found in a mountain of pillows, sipping hot tea or obsessing over how cute her dog is. If she isn't cocooned in blankets, she is probably at the softball field or sitting on a beach somewhere. Taylor is an aspiring writer and editor, and although she isn't exactly sure where she will be after college she hopes to one day work for a magazine and publish children's books.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.