Profile: Hofstra’s Career Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

New to Hofstra? Just changed your major? Completely lost on your way to becoming a billionaire (we can all dream)? Or only kind of know what you want to do after graduation?

Regardless, it is important to know where to go for support and advice for achieving your goals or developing new ones. The Career Center at Hofstra is a department where students of any year and major can prepare for post-graduation employment. If you’re like me, you are currently lost in a fog of what to major in and what job to pursue. The administrators in this department are the unsung heroes of Hofstra!

At the Career Center, counselors will help guide you on a path toward a major that’s just right for you. They will discuss help you decide what you want to major in and where you see yourself after graduation. The Career Center can work with you from your very first year on campus until the day you graduate. Brian Donahue, a Hofstra sophomore, recalled the first time he went to the Career Center, “I hadn’t really heard much about it, but I was pretty lost in terms of what I wanted to major in. My mom was the one who made me go. The counselor helped me so much in directing me to the correct major. I am not sure if I would have ended up exploring this major if I hadn’t met with her. I still make appointments to this day for resume reviews.”

(Courtesy of Stock Snap)

Did you know you can schedule an appointment to practice a mock interview for an upcoming job opportunity at the Career Center? And it doesn’t stop there. Bring your resume and cover letter, and someone will edit it to ensure that it is the best it can be! The Career Center posts internship openings in a variety of majors and fields. Taking advantage of this allows you to make connections early in your career and get an idea on how things in your future field are taken care of. Through Hofstra’s Career Hub, you can access a bunch of new internships as they arise. Through the Career Hub, you can access Handshake, a database through the Career Hub where internship postings are available for application locally, nationally and abroad.

Tiffany Chin, a Hofstra junior, said, “I found three internships I was really interested in last year. They were fairly new and two of them were paid internships. I was almost positive I had no shot in getting any of them but I applied anyway. Within a few weeks, I heard back from all three. I was denied by two and accepted to my second choice one, but I was very proud of myself and was glad I had the Career Hub to find these opportunities.”

(Courtesy of Stock Snap)

Additionally, the Career Center can assist you in shadowing an organization for a day. PRIDE Shadowing Program allows students to gain firsthand experience in the field they hope to work in. Through this program, students get hands-on experience in a possibly otherwise, not accessible opportunity. The programs and opportunities Hofstra’s Career Hub provides for all Hofstra students are incredible. 

Take advantage of everything the Career Center has to offer and contact them today!

Lowe Hall

516-463-6060

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm

Taylor is a Junior at Hofstra University, majoring in Journalism and double minoring in English and Political Science. Hofstra is the third college she has attended and she plans on it being her last! She is a self-proclaimed cupcake connoisseur and Netflix enthusiast. She can often be found in a mountain of pillows, sipping hot tea or obsessing over how cute her dog is. If she isn't cocooned in blankets, she is probably at the softball field or sitting on a beach somewhere. Taylor is an aspiring writer and editor, and although she isn't exactly sure where she will be after college she hopes to one day work for a magazine and publish children's books.
Jessica is the Campus Correspondent and Editor-in-Chief of Hofstra University's Her Campus Chapter. Jessica, from New Jersey, is a journalism major and psychology minor at Hofstra University. As a dedicated member of her college's Her Campus chapter since her freshman year, she has held the role of staff writer, Snapshot editor, Secretary and now CC. Outside of Her Campus, Jessica's publications include JeannineMorris.com, TheCelebrityCafe.com, FashionWeek.com, The Hofstra Chronicle and the Long Island Report, where she is also a student editor. In her spare time Jessica enjoys being outdoors, camping and hiking, snowboarding in the winter, hitting the Jersey Shore beaches in the summer, working out and spending time with her friends, family, and pets. Check out her fashion, beauty and lifestyle blog at http://Jessie-Leigh.com.