bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Plus-Sized Models Aren’t A Problem, Weight Shaming Is

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I always have been and always will be an advocate for body positivity and diversity in advertising for different brands. The fact that brands like Aerie are combatting the stigma around different body shapes and sizes is amazing to me.

When I saw the Gillette ads surrounding body positivity and featuring plus-size women and models to promote their razors, I was really happy to see a brand like that doing something positive with their platform. It may be just a photo in an ad, but that’s actually something really important for them to feature in their ad.

While it’s almost 2020 and we should be way past body shaming, there were still people freaking out over the fact that Gillette featured a plus-sized model in their ad. Some thought that it was encouraging unhealthy eating habits and could lead to obesity becoming an even more pressing issue in the United States.

Following on from yesterday…it’s ok to learn about nutrition at some point in your life by tracking macros or doing challenges or diets or whatever because if you didn’t do them where would you be today instead? Sure, maybe you’d have a better relationship with food or your body…but probably not. You’d probably know nothing about quality or timing food for certain activities. You’d possibly dislike your body, you know that because you dieted in the first place. You’d just still be in that place. You’d feel more lost and confused than you do right now. Learning about food is going to open you up to mistakes, failures and anxiety but so does school, marriage and talking to your parents. I don’t follow a diet or protocol right now because I already did the work of learning and can go off on my own. I can choose to gain weight, lose weight, do plastic surgery, whatever I want. I still have issues to work through but that’s fine because if these issues were not my issues today, I’d have other issues of equal value. What I’m saying is, always be learning. Don’t regret the paths you’ve taken and be grateful that you didn’t wrap yourself in cotton wool and never try anything that fucked you up. It made you who you are today in the best way. Today’s drawing is inspired by @celinarosso who turned her physical weight loss mess into her emotional weight loss message. I appreciate her ♥️

A post shared by Dani Sheriff (@danisheriff) on

The fact that we are well into the 21st-century and people are still fat-shaming is so upsetting to me. I remember when I was growing up and thinking that everyone that I saw in TV and movies looked the same. I remember thinking that I had to look a certain way and act a certain way specifically because that’s how someone looked in a show I saw.

The idea of young girls being able to grow up in today’s world and see female superheroes, protagonists and leaders that look like them no matter what shape, size or color they were used to make me so happy. But now, people still want to take that away for some reason.

I’m going to be the first to admit that I love fashion. The idea of fashion shows and designing clothing as a form of art is absolutely amazing, but I’m also not oblivious to the fact that there is a toxic environment that surrounds the world of fashion and clothing at times.

Iskra Lawrence is a huge advocate for body positivity and is the face of Aerie’s AerieReal campaign where they are pioneering diversity in their ads and not photoshopping their models. While she is considered a plus-size model, she’s been in the modeling industry for years and is the first to admit that she has been a victim of the toxic mindset that you have to look a certain way in order to fit in.

A lot of models work really hard to keep themselves in the shape that they need to be in for these shoots. Their hard work shouldn’t go unnoticed, but models that society considers “plus-size” also work extremely hard. It’s so disappointing when I see people complaining about models and people in TV and movies. Those people are real, and they actually look like myself and the people around me.

To go from being surrounded by models and actresses with unattainable features to seeing women that were just like me and anyone else I know, and it being met with such opposition is heartbreaking. Those people are real, and if they aren’t good enough to be in an ad, then that is so disheartening.

It took me a long time to fully start loving myself and everything about me, and I want to help other people realize that they’re worthy of self-love too. I’m not perfect, but nobody is. If you criticize the way someone looks, you’re criticizing the way that a million other people look, too. Please keep that in mind the next time you think about saying something negative about the way someone looks in an ad or on your screen, no matter their size.

It’s so easy to be negative about other people when you’re not saying it to their face. Not having to see the way that your words affect people is dangerous. They still hurt just as much no matter if they’re through text or a comment on a post.

View this post on Instagram

What’s the first thing you see? I see: 2 years of hard work A mom that wants to set an example of self love A wife that wants to feel sexy A body that’s birthed two humans A human that’s survived addiction A woman that’s worthy ⁣ I’ve been feeling muted about about my decision to have a tummy tuck. ⁣I guess if I’m honest… worried about what people will think? ⁣ Lots of peeps in my life have been saying “huh, you don’t NEED that”⁣ ⁣ Here’s the thing. Of course you think that… I’ve spent the last 1.5 years trying my best to hide my loose skin from you… only posting pictures or videos if it’s covered up or tucked away.⁣ ⁣ I’m super excited & 100% confident in my choice… but that doesn’t mean I’m not nervous… ⁣ ⁣ Here’s what I know for sure:⁣ I plan to spend the rest of my life working on my health & wellness.⁣ ⁣ I’ll be damned if I don’t get to see the proof of that in the mirror. ⁣ ⁣ Most people who don’t understand my decision? Haven’t lost 100 pounds. #sorrynotsorry⁣ ⁣ This message is not speaking to haters or in relation to any one message received. It’s just me, working through my own feelings… and in response to this life of sharing my TRUTH with the world. ⁣ ⁣ T-5days #looseskin #thesisterhoodfitness #beforeandafterweightloss #beforeandafter #transformationtuesday #strongertogether #lifeaftermotherhood #pushtobebetter #whodoyouwanttobe #momsfitnessjourney #happywifehappylife #aeriereal #shebeleivedshecould #fitandstrong #selflovewarrior #youvsyou #rediscoveryou #workonyourself #beachbodycoach #worklifebalance #momguilt #postpartumbody #postbabybody #postpartumfitness

A post shared by C O U R T N E Y Swissman ??‍♀️ (@cocofitnessvegas) on

If you see a model and they’re anything other than the normal super-toned Victoria’s Secret Angels that everyone is used to seeing, and your first reaction is to negatively comment on their image, please seek help. You’ve got more issues than anyone.  

Cassity is a senior Public Relations and French double major at Hofstra. Her life's mission is to find the best oat milk latte in New York City and live out her dream of someday being as iconic as Carrie Bradshaw. Until then, she's happy to serve as Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra.