Personal Essay: Thoughts on Thanksgiving 2020

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Thanksgiving won’t be the same this year. With the pandemic going on, many of us need to rethink our plans and traditions. It’s sad to think about not coming together to celebrate what we are thankful for. It’s sad to think about what some of us are going to be missing out on like the warm atmosphere, the mouth-watering food, the busy kitchen and the joyous laughter. It is going to be very difficult to feel welcomed when there are so many precautions being taken. Still, there is a silver lining and every bad thing has a good side to it. Even though we may not be physically together a phone call or a text goes a long way. While some families may take the chance and go visit, practices should still be in place and caution should be taken. 

Family cooking together
Photo by August de Richelieu from Pexels

This holiday is a perfect time to show appreciation towards everyone. The food is just an added bonus. This is why Thanksgiving, this year, for me is going to be difficult. In my mind, I want to keep everyone safe. Especially because I am a college student and have been on campus for three months whereas my grandparents have been inside their houses alone with no contact. This puts them at risk in case I have anything. 

Pumpkin Pie
Photo by Element5Digital from Pixabay

My Thanksgivings growing up were always a positive experience. My family always looked forward to Thanksgiving. People say to not talk about politics during dinner but that’s all the adults talk about. So, while the adults speak, my sister and I look at each other and continue to eat. My favorite conversation at the table is when my grandparents ask about my experience at college so far. This year instead of a story, I’ll be telling them my boring routine. Wake up, go to class, do homework, eat, sleep and repeat. It is always a fun night to talk about our pasts. My grandfather always has something to say and he is a very wise man. I am lucky enough to have both sets of grandparents, so for two days I would have a full stomach and both of the grandparents wanted me to eat more! I think I will always remember that even as I get older. 

This Thanksgiving will either be a negative or positive memory. I am hoping that this Thanksgiving will show people how far yet so close many of their family and friends are. It just shows that we should be thankful for the people we have in our lives. To make sure we do not miss a moment in our lives are their lives.

person holding rectangular black wooden photo frame with Give. Thanks. print
Simon Maage/Unsplash

Ariyanna is a Junior at Hofstra majoring in global studies with a minor in general business. She enjoys being a positive influence and pushing herself closer to her goals. In her free time she's either in front of the camera modeling, online shopping or listening to music. Her inspiration is a quote from Disney which is "Adventure is out there!"