An Open Letter to the Christmas Music Haters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

An open letter to the anti-Christmas music beasts,

Shout out to all the haters in the library for giving me dirty looks because I am listening to Christmas music. Yes, it is the week before Halloween and yes, I am not ashamed to listen to it.

For all the Christmas lovers out there, it is totally acceptable to listen to Christmas music during October, heck, mid July is a great time. When I sit in the library and wrap my Nicki Minaj limited addition Beats headphones around my head, I have no shame in turning on the Mariah Carey (Holiday) Radio on Pandora. Besides the fact that it puts me in a super warm and fuzzy mood, I actually get my work done. This past Sunday I was working ferociously on my history paper. It was Brenda Lee’s Jingle Bell Rock that made me realize, “My god, I’m almost done with this essay.” I am the type of person who cannot do schoolwork with music in my ears; however, the magical instruments and vocals of Christmas music make me focused and productive. Whether you believe it or not, magic in Christmas (music) is not a myth. I have an attention span of a five year old and if it’s Christmas music that can get me through the long, midterm filled, weeks of October then I will confidently put my foot down and jam.

In my opinion, I think it is complete bull when people only listen to Christmas music after Thanksgiving, don’t they realize that Christmas season is practically over when it becomes December 1st?  It is time people cut Christmas music some slack because in fact, the holiday is right around the corner and maybe it will make you the productive person you’ve always wanted to be!

Merry Christmas ya filthy animals,

Elaina  ;)

P.S. I highly recommend, after finishing your work, looking up Christmas wardrobe, recipes and non-touristy things to do in NYC on Pinterest. Oh, I love Christmas.

Hi my name is Elaina Sullivan and I am a Freshman at Hofstra University. I am an avid twerker in my free time all while enjoying food, fashion, food, food and short walks on the beach.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!