This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Each year, as we approach fall, we look forward to spooky, seasonal events. Unfortunately, due to COVID-19, some of these activities have been canceled. However, there are still plenty of activities to engage in while still being safe. The excitement of the season continues with some important precautionary measures. New York City is filled with fun, fall events that you can enjoy while remaining socially distant, and wearing a mask!

Outdoor exhibitions are a great way to get into the fall spirit while staying safe. Fall is a time of beautiful colors and sights. Getting out into nature and exploring these sights is a safe activity that anyone can enjoy. Central Park, Prospect Park, and McCarren Park are just some of the many places that you can catch sight of some great foliage in NYC. Following along with outdoor activities, you can visit the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. They have plenty of safeguards in place including the requirement of face covering, maintaining social distance, and closing of indoor/ interactive spaces. You can view the plants in bloom for the fall season outdoors. Bike tours are also a great way to see fall sights. Face masks are required in public areas, social distancing is enforced, hand washing is required regularly, and equipment is sanitized between use. Examples include the Brooklyn Bridge Bike Tour; and the Central Park and Hudson River Bike Tour. This gives you chance to take a breath of fresh air and take in the beautiful sights of the season, all while maintaining a COVID-friendly environment.

Spend some time in the outdoors

Outdoor exhibitions are a great way to get into the fall spirit while staying safe. Fall is a time of beautiful colors and sights. Getting out into nature and exploring these sights is a safe activity that anyone can enjoy.

Central Park, Prospect Park and McCarren Park are just some of the many places that you can catch sight of some great foliage in NYC. Following along with outdoor activities, you can visit the Brooklyn Botanical Garden. They have plenty of safeguards in place including the requirement of face covering, maintaining social distance, and closing of indoor/ interactive spaces. You can view the plants in bloom for the fall season outdoors.

Go see an outdoor movie

An increasingly popular idea during these uncertain times is outdoor movies. NYC has plenty of outdoor movies and drive-in options available. During October, the Bel Aire Diner in Astoria, Queens is playing Halloween movies throughout the month.

Warm diner foods are perfect for the fall season, and they will be delivered right to your car as you watch your Halloween favorites. There are plenty of other drive-in options throughout the city. The Festival of Cinema is a well-known event that will be highlighting late night thrills. Halloween movies in general are a good way to get into the spooky spirit. Drive-ins give you that opportunity as well as a chance for safe social interaction.

Go on a bike tour

Bike tours are also a great way to see fall sights. Face masks are required in public areas, social distancing is enforced, hand washing is required regularly and equipment is sanitized between use. Examples include the Brooklyn Bridge Bike Tour and the Central Park and Hudson River Bike Tour. This gives you chance to take a breath of fresh air and take in the beautiful sights of the season, all while maintaining a social-distancing-friendly environment.

Indulge in all of the favorite fall eats around the city

Nothing says fall like food. The season brings in so many delicious flavors and warming meals. Apple cider donuts are a fall favorite. Support your local market and pick up a box. Specifically, Union Square Farmer’s Market is a fan favorite. NYC is filled with coffee shops on nearly every street. Stop by a local café and try a yummy fall latte. Warm, comfort foods are also popular in the fall.

La Cigogne, Raclette NYC and Burke & Wills are some examples of places famous for their comfort food. The city is also packed with unique bakeries. Apple pie, caramel cookies and pumpkin bread are all foods that are enjoyed in the fall. Eating your favorite flavors and foods is the easiest way to feel seasonal. These options offer that while maintaining social distancing regulations and wearing your mask.

Fall fun doesn’t have to end because of COVID-19, but it does have to be altered for everyone’s safety. Fortunately, NYC is filled with fun and safe events for all! Immerse yourself in the season in a safe way.

Kim Casey is a senior at Hofstra. She has a double major in Public Relations and Psychology. She is a member of the Hofstra Cheerleading team, PAD Hofstra and a Pure Barre instructor.