NYC Commuting Safety Tips

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

One of the biggest benefits of Hofstra is its location—our suburban campus is just one quick train ride away from Penn Station. Whether you’ve scored an internship or just want to get off campus for a while, you can easily navigate your way into New York City. But, like any other commute, the trip into NYC can be dangerous if you don’t stay alert. Stay smart and take these precautions to keep your trips fun and stress-free.

Look Alive!

No, you don’t have to sit at a ninety-degree angle and scan the train with crazy eyes for the whole trip, but you should be keenly aware of your surroundings. Do you see anything iffy? Speak up right away. Don’t feel embarrassed; after all, that’s what all those “see something, say something” posters are about! Or is everyone else around you totally zoned out? Great! Most commute experiences are like taking a train trip with pleasant zombies, except they’re sipping coffee and carrying smartphones.

Be Mindful When Using Technology

Speaking of smartphones, use your phone sparingly. Staring at your screen for forty minutes can leave you vulnerable—you could easily miss something happening around you.  Be observant beyond public transit, too. Someone on a city street (or even just in the train station) could easily see the phone in your hand, snatch it, and take off. This isn’t too likely, but traveling is not the time to assume the best in people.

It’s also tempting to put on some headphones and drift off into iPod land, but don’t let it totally distract you during the trip. You might prefer to hear your stop announced. Even if you know your stop well, keep your music at a reasonable level. You don’t want to be totally disconnected from the sounds around you.

Carry and Keep Your Belongings

The truth is inevitable: we collegiettes carry around a lot of stuff. Feel free to take a purse/bag (or two) with you on the train or bus, as long as you keep them close. Keeping them on your body is ideal. If that’s impossible, just don’t leave them unattended, even for a moment. Keep a hand resting on the bag, for example, or sandwich it between your feet. (Make sure you don’t block anyone’s path!)

Style-wise, go for bags that close securely with metal clasps or zippers. That way, you won’t have to worry about the contents of your bag being exposed, and no one can slip a hand into it.

Of course, not everyone wants to lug around a bag all day. The tips above apply to pockets too: make sure your belongings are stashed deeply inside, and if possible, wear pants with pockets that snap or zip closed. Avoid keeping vital things (wallet, license, cash) in your back pocket—it’s too easy for someone behind you to make a grab for it.             

Keep these very basic tips in mind and make the most of your adventures in the city!

Emily Windram

Hofstra '15

Emily Windram is a passionate writer with experience in personal and business branding, creative writing, and communications. She graduated from Hofstra in 2015 with a Bachelor of Arts in Creative Writing and History.