Intern Diaries: 6 Ways to Pass Time During Your Commute

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

For the majority of us Hofstra students, an internship in New York City is in our future. Between big name magazines, senators offices, and the financial buildings, it’s likely that most of us will end up interning in the Big Apple at least once. For those of you who do get a NYC internship, one of the biggest challenges is the commute. Whether you go by car or train (and I highly recommend train) you have a solid 30 minutes of down time before and after work. Here are my top ways of passing the time:

1: Enjoy breakfast.

How many times a week do you actually get to sit down and eat breakfast? My guess is that breakfast, if you even eat it, is not a relaxed and well-enjoyed meal. So grab some food from the student center, or bring something from home, and spend your train ride savoring that breakfast sandwich.

2: Get addicted to an iPhone game.

Angry Birds, Candy Crushers Saga, Fruit Ninja whatever you want. Playing a game on your commute is an easy and relaxing way to pass the time, especially if you can’t get a seat.

3: Catch up on reading.

No matter where you’re interning, you’ll want to be up to date on the most recent industry news. Take some time on your train ride to skim the New York Times, check out the NewYork Post, or flip through Women’s Wear Daily. Being updated on current events will help you stand out at your internship.

4: Do work.

Use your commute as extra time in your workday. With iPhones, tablets, and laptops it’s easy to do a bit of research or to respond to emails. By getting some basic tasks out of the way, you can free up your schedule for bigger and more important tasks.

5: Do homework.

Let’s be honest, it’s hard to manage classes and an internship. Use the train ride as a short, 30 minute study session. Then when you get back home at night you’ll have less work to do, and more time to relax.

6: Take a nap.

If you can get a seat on the train, you’re good to go. If you can get a window seat, even better. Pop your headphones in, lean against the wall and take a power nap on your way to and from Penn Station.

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!