photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Not Going Home For The Holidays? Here Are 5 Things You Can Do Instead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you aren’t going home this year to spend the holidays with your family, you don’t need to worry! Living this close to New York City, there are so many fun options to celebrate the holidays a little differently this year. Don’t give up on your holiday season just yet because there are so many ways to have fun and not go home! Take a look at these ideas and make the most of your holiday season!

Rockefeller Tree Lighting

Be sure to go see the 87th Annual Rockefeller Tree Lighting this year on December 4! Nothing kicks off your Christmas celebrations like lighting a giant tree in New York City! Enjoy the magic of the holidays with a couple of friends and a warm cup of hot chocolate.

The Rockette Christmas Spectacular

Looking for an activity that doesn’t require standing outside in freezing weather? You can’t go wrong with the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular! With legs and lights for days, you will be dazzled by the performances these dancers continue to put on year after year. Stay bundled up and enjoy this fun, entertaining show with people you love!

Macy’s Santaland And Store Windows

Every year, Macy’s goes all out with their festive Santaland and animated store windows. Go check it out with your friends and go shopping afterward! Even though you may not be going home for Christmas, you can still send your friends and family something special! You’ll be astonished at the magic they are able to create. You won’t want to miss it!

Take A Walk Through Central Park

Whether the leaves are falling or the trees are covered in snow, Central Park is always a beautiful and peaceful place to walk around. It’s a nice place to listen to music and collect your thoughts. Everyone needs a moment to just be at peace and this is definitely the place to go.  Bundle up, grab some hot chocolate and get lost in Central park! 

Binge Your Favorite Holiday Movies

When it comes down to it, staying home and watching a good holiday movie can really be the best thing in the world and you don’t have to leave your dorm, apartment or house! Either by yourself or with some friends, collect all your favorite holiday movies and lots and lots of treats to have the holiday movie night of the century!

There’s no need to be down if you’re not going home for the holidays! Sometimes spending it somewhere new can be just the change of pace you needed. Take advantage of the beautiful city we have just a train ride away! Always remember it doesn’t matter where you are or who you’re with, the holidays will still bring that same magic you look forward to all year!

freestocks.org (@freestocks) on unsplash.com

Hello! I'm a Sophomore at Hofstra University, double majoring in Journalism and Dance. I love coffee and peanut butter with a passion. I have lots of opinions and love writing about pretty much anything, so I hope you enjoy what I've got to say!