This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

The world isn’t slowing down on news, something new comes up every day. From the news everyone’s heard, the news no one knows, feminist undertones, and everything in between— then just keep reading!

Photo by Monica Melton on Unsplash

Feminist By Choice

Japan moving to end child marriage

With the movement in motion on a global stance, Japan is joining in on the fight against child marriage. Many countries are setting plans for ending child marriage by 2030. One third of girls in the developing world are married before 18 and are likely to experience domestic violence, according to sources. A revision of Japan’s Civil Code has inclined setting the minimum age of marriage at 18 for both women and men and, if passed, it’ll be set in motion by 2022. 

Cynthia Nixon for Governor

Former Sex and the City star Cynthia Nixon is taking on politics by running for NY Governor. While she has no prior experience in running large organizations or elected office, she’s been a vocal political activist throughout her life. She’s been known to help fight for better public schools, LGBTQ+ rights, women’s health- and much more. What do you think?

No more Personals on Craigslist

The US has now started getting on the ball with ending sex trafficking by the Senate passing the Allow States and Victims to Fight Online Sex Trafficking Act (FOSTA). The new bill proposes “seeking to subject websites to criminal and civil liability when third parties (users) misuse online personals unlawfully.” Craigslist has eliminated it’s personals page and Reddit has announced they’re “’forbidding transactions for certain goods and services,’ including firearms, drugs, sexual transactions, stolen goods and falsified documents.” While some controversy has ensued, the bill had an overwhelming support of 388-25 and the public seems hopeful for the future.

Rihanna v Snapchat

Snapchat modeled a “Would You Rather?” game showing the choices of “slapping Rihanna” or “punching Chris Brown.” Controversy ensued due to past events with the pair in 2009 where Brown assaulted Rihanna. Singer and entrepreneur Rihanna called out Snapchat for making light of domestic violence and decided to bring light to the issue, after this Snapchat’s stock went down $800 million dollars.

Photo by Clarke Sanders on Unsplash

Badass Women of the Week

Adwoa Aboah

After her trials in life, Adwoa Aboah, a powerful activist and model, rise above it all and started an organization called Gurls Talk, that is a “support network for young people to talk about a variety of topics, including sex, anxiety, antidepressants, and more.” She has dedicated her life to helping mental health amongst girls and isn’t stopping anytime soon.

Marielle Franco

Say her name. A courageous woman was allegedly assassinated recently, a woman who dedicated her life to speaking out against police brutality an corruption in Rio’s favelas. She was the only black city councilwoman in Rio de Janeiro, and she deserves to be known for her bravery.

Odette Harris

Odette Harris: the first African American female neuroscience professor in Stanford, and the second nationally. Representation matters and so does this milestone.

Photo by Alex Holyoake on Unsplash

Pop Culture Now

31-hour Infinity War madness

Marvel fans this is not a drill, there will be a 31-hour movie marathon to get people excited about Infinity War. Sadly, it’ll only include 12 films (sorry to the sequels)— but there will be “marathon only collectibles, exclusive content, and a special concession offer.” 

The event begins on April 25th, 1:30 PM and all screening Infinity War at precisely 6 PM.

Tickets start at $75, with only 2 locations: NYC AMC Empire and Orlando Disney Springs.

The following movies shown:

Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America: The First AvengerMarvel’s The AvengersGuardians of the GalaxyAvengers: Age of UltronCaptain America: Civil WarDoctor StrangeSpider-Man: HomecomingBlack Panther, and Avengers: Infinity War

Rick and Morty Season 4: Up in Air

The beloved Adult Swim cartoon comedy following a drunken mad scientist, Rick, and his grandson, Morty, on their hair-brained schemes with multiple dimensions, their topsy-turvy family, and sometimes a lot of gore for three seasons now.

Unfortunately, season 4 remains up in the air and it’s driving fans crazy. Production hasn’t even started due to contract negotiations between the co-creators, Justin Rolland and Dan Harmon, and Turner Broadcasting, the parent company of Adult Swim. It’s a waiting game for everyone now.

New Trailers– BRB while we fangirl

Long-awaited sequels have been on our minds for months, and so many franchises are finally releasing trailers. From Harry Potter to Marvel fans, everyone is getting excited. Which are you most excited to see?

• Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald– November 16, 2018
  • Marvel Studios Avengers: Infinity War- April 27th, 2018
  • Deadpool 2– May 18th, 2018
  • Fahrenheit 451– May 2018

Harry Styles’s “Bisexual Anthem”

The B in LGBTQ+ has been long overlooked, but times are changing and so is the music scene. Beloved singer/songwriter Harry Styles’s new song, Medicine, is deemed as the “anthem for bisexuals” by his fans with lyrics saying ““The boys and the girls are here / I mess around with him / And I’m OK with it.” Now he hasn’t officially or publicly come out, but his fans are beaming with joy with his integration of bisexuality in his music.

Photo by ian dooley on Unsplash

Beauty, Fashion, and everything in between

Tarte Mermaid Collection

Ariel has taken over Tarte’s new collection- and we’re obsessed! The web only collection entails an eyeshadow palette (at Sephora too!), brush set, eyelash curler. Glitter pots, lipsticks, face jewels, serums, and more. Honestly, what more could you possibly need to be the ultimate mermaid?!

Britney Spears X KENZO

Britney Spears’s runway videos on Instagram finally paid off, because now she’s the face of French luxury house, KENZO. Spears just landed her first high fashion gig, and her fans are going crazy. The collection, Collection Momento 2 line, has Spears clad in their clothes- and she’s slaying. Will you be buying these new pieces?

Photoshop needs to stop

Within two weeks, two major magazines have been called out for their photoshop jobs. Riverdale stars, Lili Reinhart and Camila Mendes, called out Cosmopolitan Philippines for photoshopping their waists by calling them out on Instagram and fiercely promoting the concept of self-love. Actress, Elizabeth Olsen called Empire for their poor photoshopping skills on their recent spread for Avengers: Infinity War with a few quips on her Instagram. Women aren’t standing for this, the fashion industry needs to take notes.

Photo by Claudia on Unsplash

News No one talks about

Poland’s Abortion Rights Bills

More than 200 humans and women’s rights groups are roaring for Poland to listen. Poland is teetering on adopting a bill entitled “End Abortion” that’ll heavily decrease access to abortions in Poland. The fighting continues in Poland, but the bill is currently with Parliament.

Kenya forced anal exams

A large victory for the LGBTQ+ in Kenya has come forth. A ruling reversed a 2016 High Court decision that gave Kenyan forces the ability to provide evidence of homosexual activity through forceful anal exams. But recently, a Court of Appeal in Mombasa, Kenya ruled the act as unconstitutional.

Beached Whales in Australia

Around the south of Perth, about 150 beached animals were found at Hamelin Bay. Around 140 of the beached whales have already died, only six definitely surviving. Around 100 volunteers came to help the poor animals. Scientists are still questioning what happened to make them beach themselves.

Photo by Pete Bellis on Unsplash

Trend Alert

Pastels

It’s spring, pastels are a staple in any wardrobe. The season of dark clothes is over, time to look like all the flowers outside and bloom!

Fringe

Not only is it stylish, it’s incredibly fun to play with when you’re on the train. This season, we’re bringing fringe back and here’s the tools to get you ready for spring:

Vampy Lipsticks

Okay so vampy styles aren’t totally over, it’s a good contrast to our pastel wardrobe. And let’s face it, who doesn’t love a good dark lippy?

Being a boss means you take what the world throws at you and making good out of it. React to this and fight the good fight. Stay lovely and stay aware!

Contrary to popular belief, Delilah Gray is not a fan of the song “Hey There Delilah.” Delilah Gray is the Founder of the Gray Times, a blog dedicated to career advice, plant parenthood, and sharing life lessons. She fell in love with writing when she lived in New York. She started because she wanted to help people, and she felt she could do that best by writing about what was happening in the world.  She has worked with Her Campus, Tokyo Journal, Carnegie Mellon International Film Fest, Platform Women, Queen V, and Long Island Weekly. She enjoys painting trippy portraits, watching dark cartoons, hiking, and spending all of her disposable income on her plants.