This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

It seems like every day, more groundbreaking stories come to light— it’s hard to keep track of them all. But if you’re looking for a mix: the news everyone’s heard, the news no one knows, feminist undertones, and everything in between— then just keep reading!

Photo by Rochelle Brown on Unsplash

Feminist by Choice

All women all the time:

For so long, there have been ‘all-men’ clubs and bars— but 2018 is the year for women. Soon, Britain will have its first members-only club for businesswomen all thanks to serial entrepreneur badass Debbie Wosskow and boss lady former Hearst Magazine UK chief Anna Jones. But if you’re not into clubs, there’s a library coming soon that features female authors only. A pop-up store in London called ‘Like a Women’ will be released for a limited time to mark the International Women’s Day. Can the U.S. catch up with Britain’s women empowerment right now?

Red light district- ending or improving?

Holland’s infamous Red-Light district may be ending as we know it— but not in the way you’d expect. The brothel industry and prostitution were legalized in the early 2000’s, but women didn’t feel safe There’s still copious amounts of coercion, sex trafficking, and violence against women in the industry. According to sources, there’s a bill on the Dutch Senate that—if it’s passed—could criminalize certain actions in the industry. This means arrests will be made if there is proof of paying for sex with a trafficked, pimped, or coerced woman. What do you think of this new bill?

Iran vs Women

The women of Iran are looking for a revolution, a change to the cultural norm within their country. But Iran isn’t having it. Women are peacefully protesting the dress code (hijab) laws and ending prosecution, but they keep getting arrested. Some women took off their headscarves to protest, but at least three arrests have been made to similar circumstances. The fight continues for the mindset that any women should dress any way they want to.

US women backtrack department

It was announced earlier than the U.S. State Department will be cutting funds for an umptieth number of essential categories for the wellbeing of the people— including women’s reproductive rights and types of discrimination.

Photo by Joshua Fuller on Unsplash

Badass Women of the Week

Russian feminists

Ever since the domestic violence law came across Russia, feminists have been fighting. A multitude of badass women are taking initiative and fighting for women everywhere.

The Students of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School

Since the horrendous mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, an awakening has been born. The survivors of the shooting are calling out everyone in charge, including the NRA about enacting gun control and to end the madness we live in. Within these fights, they’ve made their message clear and have instilled change in the U.S. and with every kid in school. No one should live in fear, and that’s exactly what they’re working towards.

Photo by Paulette Wooten on Unsplash

Pop Culture Now

Jessica Jones has returned to us!

Coming soon on Netflix— the long-awaited second season of Jessica Jones. If you haven’t binged the first season already, you need to know why everyone is falling for the feminist icon we all needed to see on the silver screen. My advice: go binge the show when the second season comes out on March 8th and stuff your face with M&Ms.

Black Panther, what we all needed

The movie we’ve all been waiting for, the movie we all needed: and its killing the box office. After being released on February 16th, it’s already accumulated $700 million worldwide. Not only being a major box office hit, but it’s an inspiration. The amount of love coming out of this film in the community is outstanding. If you haven’t already, go see the new Black Panther movie!

Dream Wife 4 Life

There’s empowering women through film, TV, books, events— but we’ve been needing a band for this. Dream Wife is the punk band for the job. With their first hit ‘Somebody’ being released on International Women’s Day in 2017, they started their mark by taking about sexual assault and confronting society’s views on rape. Now, they release music all around changing stereotypes and women empowerment, all with a punk rock vibe. Need a new badass band? Listen to them ASAP!

Photo by Oli Dale on Unsplash

Beauty, Fashion, everything in between

Gucci has fake heads and eyes to spare????

Gucci went outside the box this year in Milan, so outside the box that it’s called Gucci Cyborg. A post-human theme was present with fake eyes, horns, dragon puppies, and fake heads. They issued a statement saying in the show notes that “it’s a biologically indefinite and culturally aware creature. The last and extreme sign of a mongrel identity under constant transformation. The symbol of an emancipatory possibility through which we can decide to become what we are.” Is 2018 the year of dragon babies and fake eyes? Only time will tell.

Kylie Jenner new collection

Kylie Jenner is no stranger to the spotlight, especially since the birth of her child, Stormi. Now she’s mixing her personal life with makeup, by releasing a new collection in honor of Stormi. The new collection will include three lipsticks, two eyeshadow cream duos, two eyeshadow palettes— called the #WeatherCollection. The internet is going crazy, are you as well for this new collection?

Thoughts and Prayers viral video

YouTuber Sailor J is responding to the copious amounts of ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ posts on social media with her platform. She’s known for her satirical beauty videos, and this one is no different. It’s all about using a make believe brand called ‘Thoughts and Prayers’ to show how useless it is. She said her intent was to show what the “rich, indifferent people in Congress [tweet about] often, usually after a national tragedy like the Parkland shooting.” What do you think? Either way, it’s going viral on the internet.

Covergirl changing it up

Covergirl is truly showing that beauty comes in all shapes and forms, not just one archetype. Their newest model, Amy Deanna, has vitiligo. Vitiligo is a condition that causes skin to lose pigment cells, but that doesn’t make anyone less beautiful. With a new model comes a new slogan with Covergirl. Remember “Easy, Breezy, Beautiful?” No, now it’s “I am What I Make Up.” Either way, the all-inclusive campaign is what we’re here for.

Photo by Ian Espinosa on Unsplash

News no one talks about

Syrian Civil War Update

In case you didn’t know, 500 people have been killed in the past week due to Syrian air strikes. 190 were women and children and the madness hasn’t ended. But the UN is trying to put an end to it all with a 30 day cease fire to give humanitarian aid, evacuate the ill and wounded, and to give more aid needed. It was unanimously approved, so many are hoping this will give a shred of hope to a war-torn country.

India Trans Rights Update

A long, tiring battle for transgender rights in India just got a second chance. In 2016, the government mandated ‘expert evaluation’ and inaccurate depictions of what transgender is. While there have been years of concerns, the government plans on releasing a revised ‘Transgender Persons Bill’ on March 5th after realizing the problem deserves legal recognition after this violation of human rights. Fingers crossed that the transgender community gets the rights they deserve.

Royinga Villages state

Royinga has faced many hardships over time, and new satellite pictures show how much worse it’s gotten. The Burmese government has been bulldozing villages down in the northern Rakhine State and the UN is not having it. The United Nations has called for a halt on the excavations, so they can see them as crime scenes— to give justice to those wronged. Hopefully, this puts a cease on the horrific domino effect Royinga has seen.

Photo by Crew on Unsplash

Trend Alert

Desert Rose The whole time I’ve been throwing stripes in hair has pretty much been nostalgia for my old scene kid coon tails I like to think this is the grown up version of coon tails. Who wants to rock this at Coachella? Maybe I can make you a wig version.  I created this look with @matrix #socolorcult and I used their #rebond Shampoo and Conditioner system to keep @laurenehairmodel ‘s hair in great shape during her prep. #matrixpartner #thebtcteam #btconeshot_festival18 #btconeshot_unconventionalcolor18 #btcbigshot_editorial18 #btcbigshot_creativecolor18 ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ ⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀ #behindthechair #modernsalon #americansalon #esteticausa #beautylaunchpad #dustyrose #dustyrosehair #mutedhair #drainbow #hairgoals #colorfulhair #hairideas #besthair #framar #festivalhair #coachellahair #coachella #coachellafashion #alternativefashion #fashionisart

A post shared by St Louis – Color Specialist (@caitlinfordhair) on

Desert Rose Hair

A latest Creation by @louisefordhair shows a mixture of beautiful rose tinted purple, blue hair colors to create a ‘Desert Rose Hair’ that’s blowing up Instagram. Will you be heading to the salon soon for this new dazzling hair color?

Fishtail Brows what do you think? @skyzhighlight

A post shared by SkyzEditz – Stefan (@skyzeditz) on

Fishtail Brows

When you think you’ve heard it all, Instagram beauty gurus always tend to surprise us. The newest brow trend was created by @SkyzEditz called, ‘Fishtail Brows.’ It’s a bit out there, and the internet is loving it. What do you think: just another fad or will you be wearing this to school tomorrow?

Mini Bucket Bags

The new fashion trend on the rise are Mini Bucket Bags, and everyone wants one for how portable yet adorable they are.

$- Forever 21 Studded Mini Bucket Bag $14

$$- Express Studded Mini Bucket Bag $49

$$$- Saks Fifth Avenue KENDALL + KYLIE Mini Ladie Bucket Bag $115

Satin

Satin is the pinnacle of wanting to feel like a queen fabric, and this is the year to spoil yourself with some new satin pieces:

Tops:

Forever 21 Satin Tie-Waist Top $23

Forever 21 Satin Floral Crop Top $16

Express Satin Wrap Cami $20-31

Dresses:

Topshop Cowl Neck Satin Mini Slip Dress $55

PacSun Billabong Lusty Weekend Dress $41

ModCloth Satin Midi Shirt Dress in Blue $80

Bottoms:

American Eagle Don’t Ask Why Printed Satin Culottes Pant $45

Urban Outfitters UO Side Striped Satin Track Pant $70

Urban Outfitters UO Pinstripe Pelmet Mini Skirt $54

Jackets:

Express Embroidered Satin Bird Reversible Bomber Jacker $70

Forever 21 Satin Floral Duster Cardigan $28

Charlotte Russe Plus Size Floral Satin Longline Bomber Jacker $31

Shoes:

Forever 21 Satin Block-Heel Ankle Boots $17.50

Dolls Kill Fire Delicate Flower Satin Heels $38

Dolls Kill Sapphire Hide N’ Seek Satin Boots $35

Accessories:

Topshop Satin Trim Ankle Socks $6

American Eagle Aerie Satin Baseball Cap $8

Zara Satin Sash Belt $35

It’s hard to keep track of it all, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to know it all. Stay lovely and stay aware!

Contrary to popular belief, Delilah Gray is not a fan of the song “Hey There Delilah.” Delilah Gray is the Founder of the Gray Times, a blog dedicated to career advice, plant parenthood, and sharing life lessons. She fell in love with writing when she lived in New York. She started because she wanted to help people, and she felt she could do that best by writing about what was happening in the world.  She has worked with Her Campus, Tokyo Journal, Carnegie Mellon International Film Fest, Platform Women, Queen V, and Long Island Weekly. She enjoys painting trippy portraits, watching dark cartoons, hiking, and spending all of her disposable income on her plants.