This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

When you want to pour over the pages of CNN and InStyle Magazine, but you don’t have the time for it? Yeah, that’s my life too. Between school, work, and our social lives- we gotta know whats going on without reading a novel. So here’s a summary of whats been hopping on all sides of the spectrum to keep us informed for the next week. 

Feminist by Choice

Photo by Roya Ann Miller

Keep Abortion Legal

Just when you thought the Trump administration couldn’t get any more asinine, they spring the Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act on us, an act that would criminalize abortions after 20 weeks of pregnancy. You’d think the government would focus on the rapidly growing statistics on gun violence rather than dictating what we should or shouldn’t do with our bodies. 20 million women every year undergo unsafe abortions, let’s not raise the numbers.

Saudi Arabian Women Still Can’t-Do

A few weeks ago, the Saudi Arabian government finally listened to the protestors and declared women can drive in Saudi Arabia starting in June 2018. While this is an amazing first step, there are so many things the women can’t do. Some for example:

• Mix freely with members of the opposite sex
  • Appear in public without wearing a full-length black abaya
  • Conduct business without a male sponsor
  • Apply for a passport

It’s about time we make more progress for every woman.

Badass Women of the Week

Photo by Ariel Lustre

Tarja Halonen

Badass Woman goes to Finland’s First Female President, Tarja Halonen, spoke in an interview about the double standards amongst women in the business, educational system, and Trump, and women’s rights. And I gotta say, I’m now her #1 fan.

The women who came forward on the Harvey Weinstein case

At least 34 women have come out about their experiences where he sexually harassed/ sexually assaulted them. These women spoke out to help bring justice and warn other women. The only words to describe these women are badass heroes.

POP CULTURE

Photo by Lloyd Dirks

Harvey Weinstein

If you’re equally glued to NYTimes, CNN, and E! News as much as I am, you’ve heard about the case against Harvey Weinstein. The numbers have been stacking and now it’s come out that he’s harassed/assaulted at least 34 women in the industry. The only just thing in this situation is that unlike so many men in Hollywood, he’s paying for his consequences.

BEAUTY, FASHION, AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN

Photo by Alysa Bajenaru

WalMart is stocking more green products by 2018

Wal-Mart has released a statement saying they’ll be taking priority on their green initiative within the makeup they carry. So, for the girls like me who are all about natural makeup on a budget, this is truly the miracle our wallets needed.

Dove Photo controversy

If you have any form of social media, then you’ve probably seen the recent outrage for Dove’s new commercial. Twitter raged on and deemed it completely racist and if you don’t know what I’m talking about – here’s the link: http://nypost.com/2017/10/08/dove-thought-this-ad-celebrated-the-beauty-of-diversity/

The controversy: racist or taken out of context? Let’s discuss!

Vampire Breast Lifts

We’ve heard it all: vampire movies, vampire love triangles, vampire facelifts- now get ready for vampire breast lifts. Just like the facelifts, it reverses aging, but on your breasts. While in the pricey department, it’s on the rise on the beauty market. I won’t go into detail, but let’s just say it’s another fad we’ll probably be spending our paychecks on.

NO ONE IS TALKING ABOUT THIS NEWS

Photo by Kristina Flour

Hurricane Aftermath

Remember the sea of hurricanes that hit all at once? Remember how it was all over the media then it all seems to disappear? Well, it hasn’t disappeared for the victims of it, in fact, their psychological toll is just as damaging as the physical. Just because the hurricane is over, doesn’t mean the damage is either.

Azerbaijan Gay Rights

The fact that no one is talking about this frightens me completely- and it should scare you too. Ever head of the country Azerbaijan? Well you should, because, according to Humans Rights Watch, the LGBTQ+ community is under attack. The Police have been cracking down on the community by arresting and torturing men they presume to be gay or bisexual, and transgender women. The accounts go into the hundreds and they get more disturbing as time goes on. With any injustice in the world, awareness is key. It’s time to start helping Azerbaijan.

Gun Violence

Ever since the Sandy Hook massacre, there have been over 1,500 mass shootings in the US. The worst American mass shooting happened October 1st, and the government still hides behind the 2nd amendment. The charts prove that there’s a sick divide between opinions, but no matter what, change needs to happen.

Contrary to popular belief, Delilah Gray is not a fan of the song “Hey There Delilah.” Delilah Gray is the Founder of the Gray Times, a blog dedicated to career advice, plant parenthood, and sharing life lessons. She fell in love with writing when she lived in New York. She started because she wanted to help people, and she felt she could do that best by writing about what was happening in the world.  She has worked with Her Campus, Tokyo Journal, Carnegie Mellon International Film Fest, Platform Women, Queen V, and Long Island Weekly. She enjoys painting trippy portraits, watching dark cartoons, hiking, and spending all of her disposable income on her plants.