This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re like me, you have done quite a bit of binge-watching during quarantine! With a mix of old and new content available at our fingertips, it can be hard to pick your next show. As I mentioned in my “Meet the E-Board” video, I have already watched several shows over the past few months and am always discovering more. Here are my picks for what you should be binge-watching this summer!

New Girl (Netflix)

New Girl is one of my all-time favorite shows. I would even say it is this generation’s equivalent to Friends. The show begins with Jess (Zooey Deschanel), moving in with three male roommates after breaking up with her boyfriend. I have watched the whole show twice and am still not tired of it. Jess and Nick will always be one of my favorite TV couples! You grow to love and care for the friend group through their struggles and triumphs. After seven hilarious seasons, you still never learn the rules of the group’s infamous drinking game, “True American!”

Community (Netflix)

Since being added to Netflix back in April, the fan-favorite sitcom, Community, is finally getting the attention it deserves. I never watched the show while it was on TV, but it is a must-watch for sitcom fans! The show follows an unlikely group of friends at a community college and all the weird and hilarious antics that ensue. Most people may recognize this as the show that helped launch Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) into stardom, but it is one of the most creatively bold sitcoms of its time. If you enjoy the show, be sure to check out Ken Jeong and Joel McHale’s podcast, “The Darkest Timeline” (an inside joke if you’ve seen the show)!

Love, Victor (Hulu)

Love, Victor is the television spin-off of the movie Love, Simon. We follow the titular character, Victor, as he struggles with family drama, moving to a new town and coming to terms with his sexuality. Helping Victor along the way is none other than Simon, providing Victor with advice throughout the season. The show tackles some of the criticism received by the original film by showing that unlike Simon’s coming out experience, it is not as easy for everyone else as it was for him. A lot of Victor’s journey to self-discovery focuses on his fear of coming out to his religious, Latinx family. Ending the season on a big cliffhanger, Love, Victor is a heartwarming show that will leave you anxiously waiting for the upcoming second season!

Cursed (Netflix)

The new Netflix show, Cursed, is the perfect binge-watch for those of us who are missing Game of Thrones. The show, based on the book by Frank Miller and Tom Wheeler, puts a twist on the legend of King Arthur. With an evil out to destroy all of the Fey kind, Nimue, played by Katherine Langford, must complete her mother’s dying wish of delivering the famous sword, Excalibur, to the wizard, Merlin. The show features several characters from the Arthurian tales, including a young Arthur himself. Cursed is a refreshing take on a well-known story, focusing on the powerful future Lady of the Lake and her journey to save her people. The show has not been confirmed for a second season, but its rising popularity will hopefully give fans the answers they desire after the dramatic finale cliffhanger.

Never Have I Ever (Netflix)

Co-created by the fabulous Mindy Kaling, Never Have I Ever is one of the best teen shows in recent years. After the death of her father, Devi, played by newcomer Maitreyi Ramakrishnan, learns to navigate through her new reality as her relationships with her friends and family change. Not to mention, she desperately wants to hook up with the most popular guy in school, Paxton. The series is loosely based on Kaling’s own experiences growing up as a first-generation Indian American, just as Devi struggles to find a balance between wanting to fit in and embracing her culture. With only ten episodes in its premiere season, it is an easy watch that will instantly put you in a good mood. I guess the real question is, are you “Team Paxton” or “Team Ben” (or “Team Devi doesn’t need a man”)?

Paige Strout is a senior journalism major and the Vice President of Hofstra University's Her Campus chapter. Since joining her freshman year, Paige has held the positions of Facebook, Instagram and Instagram Story Editor. She aspires to be an entertainment/fashion writer and hopes to one day become a Spice Girl.
Madison Mento is a senior at Hofstra University and is majoring in Public Relations with minors in Spanish and Photography. She is a writer, artist, activist, and avid ginger. She likes her coffee iced, her pizza hot, and anything to do with beauty. She is currently the Co-President of Her Campus Hofstra and loves the organization!