In My Humble Opinion: Best and Worst Dressed at the Oscars 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

No matter who your stylist is, or what designer is taking care of your dress, sometimes you just miss the mark. And I’ll be here to judge you the whole way through. (Sorry not sorry. You’re still rich.) Here are my thoughts on the best and worst Oscars dresses this year! All opinions are my own.

Best Dressed

1. Reese Witherspoon

I’m sorry but this girl simply can do no wrong. She always looks so classic and put together, this year in a beautiful custom Tom Ford silk gown with a black velvet border. Perfection.

2. Lupita Nyong’o

I was feeling a bit disappointed by Lupita’s red carpet choices this awards season after her showstopping dresses last year, but her Oscars dress put her right back where she belongs, on top. The 12 Years a Slave actress wore (surprisingly) Calvin Klein Collection with 6,000 pearls. Audrey Hepburn, eat your heart out!

3. Rosamund Pike

Rosamund Pike is having a moment in this red Givenchy Haute Couture gown. At first, you may think that the Gone Girl actress is covered in lingerie-inspired red lace, but upon further inspection, the gown is actually made up completely of delicate rosettes. 

4. Felicity Jones

I may be biased because Felicity Jones is my girl crush until the end of time, but I think she took an undeserved hard hit for her choice in this dress. The petite Theory of Everything star wore a custom Alexander McQueen ballgown with an embellished bodice and she looked like a princess.

5. Viola Davis

Bow down! Viola Davis looked like royalty in this taupe off-the-shoulder Zac Posen dress with a diamond necklace. The How to Get Away with Murder actress took sophistication to the next level.

Worst Dressed

1. Kerri Washington

Usually indifferent to Washington’s red carpet choices, I specifically disliked her Oscars dress this year. The two-piece Miu Miu getup looked to me like a maxi skirt with a shiny peplum top. Too casual for the Oscars and peplum is kind of done having its moment.

2. Gwyneth Paltrow

While I loved the color choice on Gwyneth, the flower growing out of her left arm was just too much for me. She’s still gorge though.

3. Nicole Kidman

Oh Nicole, what went wrong?! The Aussie actress wore a Louis Vuitton gold dress with a red sash belt. The dress may have been tolerable without the belt, but the red was a total miss for me. However, she was dripping in $7 million worth of Harry Winston diamonds, so that’s got to count for something, right?

4. Keira Knightley

I think Knightley has officially been the biggest red carpet disappointment for me this year. The pregnant actress chose a frumpy sheer Valentino gown that hid her baby bump, but also hid everything else. Also, any time someone tries words on a dress, it’s usually a miss. She could have done so much more with that cute little bump!

5. Naomi Watts

I am sorry, but the top of this dress looks like something a Hofstra girl would wear out to the bar in the spring so that they don’t flash anyone (nothing against Hofstra girls of course – I am just as guilty as the rest!). Bandeaus are nifty little garments, but not right for the red carpet. In my mind, the Aussie actress missed the mark with this black and white gown.

What were your favorites? Tweet at us @HCHofstra!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!