Must See Monday: Scandal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

TGIT. Shonda Rhimes. Leading women who are fierce. Those are just a few words that come to mind when thinking about a show like Scandal. From its freshmen season of only seven episodes, the show has transformed into one of the best things on television today. From the ridiculously talented Shonda Rhimes (all hail), the show follows Olivia

Pope (Kerry Washington), a DC “fixer” who helps high profiled clients like politicians in getting out of trouble. Oh, she’s also having an affair with thePresident of the United States (Tony Goldwyn).

Bellamy Young, Joshua Malina, Scott Foley, Guillermo Diaz, Darby Stanchfield, Katie Lowes, Jeff Perry and Portia de Rossi also star.

WARNING: SPOILERS AHEAD!

Why Should I Watch This? There are a thousand reasons to watch this show. The acting is superb, the monologues are insane and the plot is ridiculously twist worthy. This show hallmarked what it means to be a powerful woman on television who wants and is more than the man next to her. You will feel so many emotions at once, it’s almost hard not freak out. Fill up a glass of red wine, microwave some popcorn and be prepared: you don’t want to miss a second.

More Reasons to Watch this Show

1. The Music: I’ve never seen a show make such great use out of sixties and seventies songs from artists like Stevie Wonder and Marvin Gaye, but this show knows when to use the right song in every scene. For me, the music is one of the things that got me hooked

2. The Men: Okay, I might be posting this for every television show, but lets be real, who doesn’t want to look at attractive men when watching TV? Shonda Rhimes manages to book the sexiest men alive on all of her shows, but Scott Foley brings out something in me that’s undeniable.

3. The Writing: The most important reason in my opinion. As a hopeful future television writer, the most vital aspect of any production is the writing. Actors are not good actors on their own, they need words to speak and actions to convey. At the end of every banging monologue, which feels like every actor who gives one deserves all of the awards in the world, you’re gonna be left with your jaw wide open in awe.

CHARACTER SPOTLIGHT: Mellie Grant

When we’re first introduced to the First Lady, we automatically hate her. She bosses Fitz around, gets in-between Fitz and Olivia’s relationship, and quite frankly seems to only care about herself. However flash forward to season three and Mellie’s past is explored into great detail to explain how she became the person she is today. While she’s flat out done some pretty bad stuff, she’s owned up to it and believed she was doing it for the greater good for herself, her family or her husband. These past two seasons have explored Mellie’s desires outside of her marriage with Fitz and her own ambitious goals a la Hillary Clinton; wanting to become the first female president.

There are some moments where the show can get a bit gruesome

And other times where the writers know how to pull at every string in yourheart

But there are also other moments that will get you hot and bothered

There will be those characters who you fear

And others that you adore

So when the going gets tough, you know who to turn to

Scandal airs Thursday’s @ 9/8c on ABC. You can catch up on past seasons via Netflix!

Stay golden, gladiators!

Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.