Must See Monday: Four Performances That Should Have Received Oscar Nominations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
With so many amazing performances given by actors and actresses in 2015, it’s almost impossible to select the best of the best. The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is tasked with selecting those lucky nominees, but they always seem to snub at least someone. In the case of the 88th Academy Awards, many were snubbed and others were happily surprised, but simply people were pissed off. For every single acting category, there are no colored people. ZERO PEOPLE. Some want to boycott the awards, others are simply dumbfounded and a majority are just upset. Out of the many snubs, I’ve selected my top four who deserved nominations but, unfortunately, did not receive them.

1. Michael B. Jordan – Creed
The top spot goes to Michael B. Jordan. A wickedly talented actor, he first graced the silver screen in Friday Night Lights as East Dillon’s star and often troubled quarterback. He’s only grown as an actor, picking up major buzz after giving a performance to remember in Fruitvale Station back in 2013. Now, Jordan’s most recent role came in the Rocky franchise reboot Creed, alongside Sylvester Stallone. While the latter received critical praise, as expected, Jordan was once more looked over for what I think is his career defying role by the Academy, earning top snub in my eyes.

2. Michael Keaton – Spotlight 
Last year’s Best Actor nominee received no love for his role in a film that is a shoo-in to win Best Picture, Spotlight. Based on the true story of a group of reporters at The Boston Globe that uncovered Roman Catholic priests sexual abuse of children in the Boston area, Keaton brought together the cast to make it, in my opinion, the best film of 2015. With supporting actors Rachel McAdams and Mark Ruffalo scoring nods, it’s almost disrespectful that Keaton received no love. After rebooting his career with Birdman last year, Keaton nabs a spot on this list for being snubbed.

3. Lily Tomlin – Grandma
In her first leading role in almost 27 years, Lily Tomlin delivered in Paul Weitz’s indie comedy-drama Grandma. Having something of a career renaissance since the release of her television show Grace and Frankie, Tomlin deserved an award here. Unlike Stallone who received a nomination for Creed, Tomlin receives no love for her role as Elle Reid, a poet coping with the loss of her life partner, who later reconnects with her granddaughter and other family members. In this touching and sentimental role, Tomlin continues her career resurgence, which seems to be a pattern in the past couple of years, but unlike her male counterparts, she receives no love.

4. Jacob Tremblay – Room
This one is a bit tricky. Here me out. The Academy is often weary, and almost ignorant of handing out nominations to child actors, making it seem almost impossible and unsurprising that 9-year-old Jacob Tremblay would not receive anything for his role as Brie Larson’s son in the film Room. However, he did deserve a nomination. Not only was the subject material heavy for any actor, especially for a child of a young age like Tremblay, he soared as Jack Newsome, the son of a woman who has been held captive in a small room for many years. He has been acknowledged at the Critic’s Choice Awards, along with the Screen Actors Guild, making his lack of Academy recognition a bit less painful.

The 88th Academy Awards airs February 28th, on ABC at 8:30 PM
Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.