Must See Monday: Carol

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
Award season is coming up and you know what that means: the best of the best in film and television. Actors, writers, directors, producers and more come together to celebrate a year of high quality entertainment. From Best Actor in a film to Best Actress in a Comedy Series, each nominee is beyond talented, making it impossible to know who will win. This year, the Golden Globes fall on Sunday January 10th and the competition for Best Film – Drama is close. However, the film that has an edge to push it over the top is Carol. In December of 1952, photographer and toy store clerk Therese Belivet (Rooney Mara) continues on with her mundane life until she meets socialite Carol (Cate Blanchett). The two then begin a relationship, adding on more pressure to their already complicated lives.I’m not going to sit here and tell you this was my must see film from the beginning. Truthfully, the reason I was drawn to it was because Kyle Chandler is in it (All Hail Coach Taylor). Cate Blanchett I knew was going to be amazing because every film she’s in is already good. The real wild card for me was Rooney Mara. Living in the shadows of her sister Kate (House of Cards), Rooney has mostly stuck to indie films, whereas her sister has done a slew of things. Rooney gave a convincing performance as unsure Therese, bringing along a sense of familiarity to a viewer on what it’s really like to not know what comes next in life.

There’s also something about movies taking place in the 50’s that just does it for me. I don’t know if it’s the style or the dialogue, but what I do know is that it’s definitely a breath of fresh air from some current films that are out today. The writer and director paid close attention to detail to make sure things stayed in tune with the time period. Being taken to another time is something that’s hard to describe. The best way I can put it is that it’s romantic. Looking back in time can come with a lot of pain, but it also teaches us the mistakes we made.Carol is no short of fork in the road for its characters. Looking back for them is the only way they can move forward and really evaluate what it is they want and what their definition of happiness is.

Carol is now playing in select theaters.

The 73rd Annual Golden Globe Awards airs Sunday January 10, 2016 @ 8PM EST on NBC
Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.