Must See Monday: 5 Shows to Look Forward to in 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.
With mid-season finales behind us, we tragically wait for our favorite shows to return in the New Year. While a bulk of them return anywhere from mid February to early March, some new shows premiere before then. Whether it’s a continuation of a favorite series or simply a new freshmen show, these are ten show that everyone should look forward to once we shift into 2016!

1. Agent Carter: Season 2 (Tuesday 1/19, ABC)
-Not only did Agent Carter give us Chad Michael Murray’s long awaited return to television, it also graced us with Hayley Atwell as titular character Peggy Carter. If you’re a Marvel fanatic like myself, you’ll recognize her from a couple of Captain America movies, even doing a quick cameo in The Avengers films as well. Agent Carter picks up right after the events of the first Captain America, where Peggy is struggling to move on from her love. She’s a badass woman working for the SSR and hardly ever gets the credit she deserves. She defies all expectations and is a true role model to all.

2. American Crime Story: The People v. O.J. Simpson (Tuesday 2/1, FX)
-A semi-spinoff of Ryan Murphy’s American Horror Story, this new anthology series will follow a high profile criminal case each season. What way to get the show started then to follow one of the most infamous cases around the world? While many of us weren’t even born around this time, you still know the case. Famed football player OJ Simpson is charged with murdering his ex-wife and somehow manages to win the case. With an all-star cast from Sarah Paulson to David Schwimmer (yes, Ross Geller) to John Travolta, be prepared for edge of your seat television.

3. The Catch (Thursday 3/24, ABC)
-From the woman who kills off your favorite characters, creator/goddess Shonda Rhimes puts together yet another sure-hit which stars Mireille Enos as a fraud investigator who later becomes the victim of fraud by her fiancé. Not only will this show star another kickass, badass woman, but it will give you something else to obsess over on Thursday nights once How to Get Away with Murder wraps up it’s sophomore season the week before this premieres. The end result? TGIT will continue it’s reign as the best thing to happen to television since color.

4. Vinyl (Sunday 2/14, HBO)
-Set in the late 70s, record label president Richie Finestra (Bobby Cannavale) oversees the evolution of punk, disco and hip-hop along with sex and drugs, all while trying to save his company without hurting those around him. Obviously people are going to get hurt. With a killer cast and an even better producer/director combination, I mean come on, it’s Terence Winter and Martin Scorsese, this show is going to become the newest Empire. Mick Jagger serves as a consultant, so expect plenty of trippy occurrences, along with good music.

5. Fuller House (Friday 2/26, Netflix) 
-And last but not least, the most exciting reboot of the decade. Candace Cameron Bure takes the lead in this Full House spinoff, reprising her role of DJ Tanner. The story begins with her husband tragically passing away, leaving her with their three boys. Looking for help, she turns to her sister Stephanie and best friend Kimmy Gibbler for guidance in how to get back to her life. Everyone makes a stop by in order to help DJ get back on her feet, but sadly Mary Kate and Ashley Olson will be the only ones not reprising their infamous role as Michelle Tanner. Expect plenty of tears, tons of laughs and childhood memories to come rushing back. You will most likely be saying: “Have Mercy!”

PS. You have no soul if you didn’t cry during this:

Video/Television Major here at Hofstra. Screenwriting. Summer. Music. TV Addict. Amateur Chef. Surfer. Writer. Die-hard Mets fan.Would rather be at the beach!Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.