Movies We’re Excited About This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Let’s face it, this is just the beginning of summer and it’s already hot as anything. At this rate, there needs to be days set aside to stay inside with the AC. At least going to the movies is a fun experience instead of the usual hangout indoors. Besides, this summer’s movie line up is a mixture of emotional, hilarious and thrilling! Get ready for a lot of movies based on novels, Disney remakes and sequels to some of your favorite movies of summers past but of course with a few twists!

The first on the list is honestly probably a given:

Me Before You (June 3rd)

If you haven’t already, there’s still time to pick up Jojo Moyes’ book! You won’t want to put it down, which is a good thing because you need to finish it before you see it in theatres. While it’s not a conventional love story, you will feel so many mixed emotions as you fall in love with characters Lou Clark and Will Traynor and their relationship that is way beyond caretaker and patient. Bring tissues; it’s not really a suggestion but a must!

Finding Dory (June 17th)

It’s been how many years since Finding Nemo??? Well enough with the wait! Finally us 90s kids can feel a little less old when the younger kids realize why this movie was a classic to us. And quite frankly, I’m glad Dory gets the chance to be a leading lady instead of her usual sidekick role. She’s eccentric and this could be her biggest asset in the mission to find her parents!

The Legend of Tarzan (July 1st)

Can someone get me a glass of water before I continue? Admit it, Tarzan was one of your animated Disney crushes even though he wasn’t a prince. In the height of the man bun era, we are very excited for the live action remake featuring the one and only, Aleksander Skarsgard.

Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates (July 8th)

Have you ever seen one of those lame bios on dating websites in which a guy put, “Just looking for someone to bring to a wedding so my parents stops asking questions”? Well in this movie, Zac Efron and Adam Devine’s characters are forced to bring dates to a family function in the hopes that the duo won’t screw things up. Little did they know their dates are crazier than they are!

Bad Moms (July 29th)

We all know at least on suburban mom who drinks a little too much wine and turns up more than her kids. This comedy features our favorite real life moms, Mila Kunis, Kathryn Hahn and Kristen Bell, letting loose at a one night rager where bets are off!

Suicide Squad (August 5th)

I’ve watched the trailer a million times and am not entirely sure what it’s about, but still am compelled to go. From my simple understanding the government has unleashed the most psycho prisoners in order to save the world. This plans seems unrealistic but certainly interesting! Bonus is the star studded cast: Cara Delevingne, Will Smith, Jared Leto, Ben Affleck, Viola Davis and more.

War Dogs (August 19th)

Leave it to Jonah Hill and Miles Teller to star in a movie based on a true story and make us laugh. Although it is a bit comical how guys in there 20s somehow managed to capitalize on our defense team and it’s ammunitions. Like how did the government let this happen? As one of the last blockbusters of the summer, definitely go to see comedy gold and laugh instead of cry about returning back to school!

Pick and choose but I hope you at least see a few movies on this summer’s lineup!

Hofstra '17 Hofstra Chapter Vice President (December '16 - December '17) From a young age Naledi has been obsessed with all things pop culture and entertainment. Through writing for Her Campus she has been able to reach a large audience of badass collegiate women who share her crazy passions as well. Beyond Her Campus Naledi is IN LOVE with Hofstra. Her favorite part? The school of comm for allowing her to branch out and get a real dip into the real world prior to graduating. Additionally Naledi is one of those classic people who studies abroad in the spring of 2016 and won't ever stop talking about it! Her best advice? Go and see the world kids and fall in love with your major like Ali and Noah from the Notebook fell in love with each other.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.