Michael Caizzi 17′

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Michael Caizzi

Year of graduation: 2017

Hometown: Rode Island

Major: Drama

What brought you to Hofstra university?

well when I was looking for schools to study drama at I had heard about Hofstra and I came to visit. I found out that it was a lovely campus, and it was just close enough to the city but far enough away to have that university feel. When I had my first open house I met some of the professors and I just had a wonderful feeling about it from the start.

What extra curricular activities do you do on campus? 

Well I work with the masquerade music theater company on campus, which is the student run musical theater troop, I’ve done four productions with them over the past two years so that’s been really fun. I’m also and RA for residential life. I work in the first year staged living learning community, so it’s a house for first year students interested in dance, music, and drama. Its actually a lot easier being an RA in that house more than others because I have that in common with the residence more than anywhere else.

So what was it like having a lead role in a college musical?

There is a lot of pressure because it’s a big role, and it’s a role that means a lot to a lot of different people. The original story has been around for over 100 years now so everyone knows them. its’s trying to bring that role to life while also trying to do the role justice. It’s a lot of pressure but it’s also a lot of fun.

Did you feel more pressure because this school is based in highly populated Jewish area? 

At first I was worried about that to be honest, but then when I started working more on the production I realized that although Tevye and his family are Jewish that’s not what the show is about. The show is about community and family and pushing them to the limits.

Do you ever get nervous before performing?

Opening night I did, I was really nervous. I might get some gitters before I go on for that first line but after that I’m so in the mode of my character that I really don’t get that nervous. To calm down I usually like to get away from people, and I just go some where quiet as possible and I breath and shake out my body, and just wait for my cue.

What are your goals for after graduation?

The goal now is to move into the city and start auditioning and getting work. For now just getting steady work would be nice. Honestly that is my overall dream. Constant work, because I’m happiest when I’m working on a project. Knowing that I’ll always have something lined up is success to me. 

Campus Celebrity editor Hofstra University
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.