This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Admit it—changing your major late in your college career can be a daunting and risky move!  But this week’s Campus Celeb, Maya Collins, proves how fun and liberating that change can be.

Major: Photography

YOG: May 2014

When and why did you decide to change your major at Hofstra?

I decided to declare my major in photography during what would have been fall semester of my junior year. My mother had pleaded with me to go to an art school from the beginning of my college education, but I had decided I wanted to go to a well rounded school where I would have a variety of majors to choose from. Despite my already established love of the arts, I always had an interest in forensic psychology. So I started at Hofstra as a double major in Criminal Justice and Psychology. After some time, I realized I was not enjoying the work I was doing and was not chasing a major that made me happy, I was chasing a major that I thought would earn me money. Safe to say I am pretty proud of myself for being confident enough in my craft and my passion for creation, that I very happily switched my major to photography. I stopped denying my love of the arts, no matter how much money I would or wouldn’t be making. I am proof of the saying that doing something that makes you happy is worth more than any job that can make you rich. Everyday I am excited about my next adventure or next photo shoot which is more then I could say for any other possible major I could have declared. So, yeah my mom basically had the upper hand in saying ‘I told you so!’

How did you discover your passion for photography?

Before deciding to attend Hofstra, my passion for photography started when I was about 9 or 10. We always went on big family vacations to different places that most people would agree, kids my age would not have had the pleasure traveling to. By the age of 7 I had been to several states across the US, as well as Poland, Scotland, England, and Russia. I felt like my brain could’nt contain all of the beauty and new information that I was experiencing, so I became very fascinated with the idea of a camera capturing images. Moments that could be looked at again and again.

At first, it started out with my mom giving me basic point and shoot camera’s, the latest pocket Canon’s or something small. Then finally after years of art camps, high school darkroom classes, and finally declaring my major at Hofstra, I have begun growing my collection of my own professional equipment and currently shoot with a Canon Eos T3i—the best birthday present I have ever gotten to this day! As I spent more and more time shooting and editing photos, my unrequited love affair with photography began.

What kinds of photography to you like best—high fashion, portraits, weddings/special events etc.—and why?

My favorite kind of photography right now is between two very different styles; I am just finishing up my studio portrait class with Professor Jaffe here at Hofstra and it is just incredible. I love studio photography more than I ever thought I would! I love being able to manipulate lighting or a scene in any possible way imaginable, and I learned so much. Before I started this class my favorite type of photography, and my go to, would be street photography. I love, what I call, shooting ‘blindly’ in events or settings and going through the frames later to see what I have captured. I did my entire final project for Professor Zweibel in ‘blind’ style street photography and it is some of my favorite and best work to date.

What is your business plan going forward (after graduation)?

Just this past year, since the time is closing in on graduation, I really took this summer to reach out and explore the professional aspect of photography by interning and finally creating my own photography company. Right now I am interning for New York Minute Magazine as their head photographer and for NewTress Beauty as fashion assistant and deputy creative director. Both internships have taught me so much and allowed me to explore all aspects of my craft that I hadn’t touched on yet. I was also hired as a student photographer for Hofstra through the University Relations Department and have had amazing opportunities photographing campus and events.

My last summer accomplishment led me to create M. Rose Photography which is my personal company that features the work I do and allows me to be available for hire. My first clients were referred to me by a friend from a previous job and I had the pleasure of doing a 4 hour engagement shoot for her and her husband as they prepared for their upcoming wedding. The photo’s came out beautifully and she was very pleased. So pleased that she asked me to come shoot her wedding as well! Since then I have begun doing head shots for clients that have auditions or corporate positions, as well as senior portraits for close friends. Currently I am available for hire for any event or occasion that someone may want/need a photographer!

If you’re interested in seeing Maya’s work, check out her portfolio and like her Facebook page!

A Boston girl living in New York, Sidney is a senior at Hofstra University double majoring in journalism and sociology. She's grown to love interviewing and feature writing after interning at  non-profits, Cosmopolitan Magazine, MTV News and the 2012 Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, NC. She is the Campus Correspondent of HC Hofstra as well as an active member in the Hofstra Association of Black Journalists, Ed2010 Hofstra and the Society of Collegiate Journalists. She loves dancing with her on-campus team, Imani Dance Ensemble, and has an incurable addiction to shoes, Boston sports teams and Japanese barbeque. Follow Sidney on Twitter, @Sid_Madden!