Makeup Routines for When You’re Running Late

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

If you’re a girl who refuses to go outside without some form of makeup on, you’ll understand the struggle of trying to rush your full-face makeup routine in five minutes before running out the door. Unfortunately, you’ve also probably experienced showing up to class ten minutes late because you forgot to keep an eye on the clock and got lost in thought blending out your eyeshadow.  I’ll show you the bare minimum, quickest makeup you can do in under five minutes, while still looking like you put in an effort.

One-Shadow Healthy-Looking Face

You will need: One shade of eyeshadow, concealer, translucent powder, mascara and tinted lip balm.

This one is really fast and looks pretty good. This goes along with the “no-makeup” look, but it doesn’t have to. Find one somewhat neutral color for your eyelids. I chose a peachy-orange: Hot Mama blush/shadow by The Balm Cosmetics. Use a brush to pack on the color and then quickly blend out the edges so it looks less harsh. Use your favorite concealer on your problem areas, especially under your eyes to make you look well-rested, and blend it out with a Beauty Blender and set it with translucent powder. Throw on a coat of your favorite mascara and if you like liner, use a simple thin line if you have a few extra seconds. Wear a tinted lip balm, like Baby Lips, in your favorite color to make the look a little more polished. You’re done!

Speedy Smokey-Eye

You will need: One grey or nude eyeshadow, one black or dark brown eyeshadow, I used a couple of shades from my NYX Wicked Dreams palette, concealer, translucent powder, your favorite highlighter, a super volumizing mascara.

This one is a little more difficult and might take a minute longer than the last one, but don’t worry, it’s still really quick.  First, blend out a layer of your grey or nude shadow across your entire lid. Next, take your black or dark brown eyeshadow and blend it out around your outer corner using a fluffy brush and bring some down under your lower lash line. Conceal your problem areas and set your under-eye area with translucent powder. Put your favorite highlighter across your cheekbones and down your nose using a fan brush or a big blending brush. I used Star from the Anastasia Beverly Hills Moonchild Glow Kit. Put on a thick coat of your favorite glam mascara, I used the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara, and liner if you wish. You can also add a tinted lip balm or tinted gloss if you feel as though the look is unfinished without it. Set the whole face with setting spray and you’re good to go!

Bare Necessities

You will need: Concealer, mascara, setting spray.

This is the quickest and easiest look you could possibly do. This is a look for classes but not formal events. This is the look I usually do when I wake up late and have five minutes to get to class. All you need to do is conceal your problem areas and your eyelid with your concealer, blending it out with your fingers. Put on your mascara on your upper and lower lashes. Set your face with setting spray and you’re done! Sure, it’s not glam, but you’ll still look good. There have been days where I’ve only worn mascara by itself, too. But that’s not really considered a “look.”

I hope these looks help you speed through your mornings a little faster.  Remember: the moral of the story is to skip your foundation and focus on the eyes.  Good luck!

Film and Television major at Hofstra University (Class of 2020) Beauty and fashion enthusiast Cat lover
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.