Made-Up Monday: Hot Fall Lip Shades

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

As the leaves change colors and the weather starts to get a little colder, it is the perfect time to experiment with your makeup! I tend to wear less makeup during the summer (because in all seriousness, it melts off anyway!), but when fall comes around I love to mix it up. Today I’m going to be focusing on some lip shades that I think anyone can pull off and they’re an easy way to transition your look for the new season. 

This first lip shade is a very wearable one. It’s the NYX Round Lipstick in the color Summer Love. It retails for just four dollars and the color is very similar to MAC’s Hue, which is 16 dollars by comparison. It doesn’t stay on the lips for very long, but it is a really beautiful cool-toned nude. The texture is creamy and moisturizing, so it’s perfect for the dry weather.
The next lip shade is more dramatic. It’s a Sonia Kashuk Satin Luxe Lipstick in the color 84, Currant. This one costs 10 dollars, which is still less than its MAC counterpart, Fashion Revival. This color is also not very long-lasting, but it is also very creamy and moisturizing. The color is a deep burgundy shade and it is my personal favorite.

My final lip option is certainly daring, but very fashion-forward. It’s Milani’s Color Statement Lipstick in 07, Best Red with Rimmel’s Soft Kohl Eyeliner in Jet Black used as a lipliner. The lipstick is a matte, warm red similar to MAC’s Rubywoo and it retails for $5.99. It’s a very long-wearing lipstick, but it can be drying if you don’t apply chapstick as a base. You can use any black eyeliner, but I love this one because it blends so smoothly. It costs $4.49 and I’ve had it for over a year!

This look requires a bit of effort. I like to begin by putting a coat of lipstick on my lips, but the edges don’t need to be very precise, as seen in the first picture. I then go in very carefully with the eyeliner and build the color on the corners of my mouth. I also add a very thin line around the entire perimeter of my lips. I blend the colors together with my finger to create an ombre effect until I reach the color I desire. This look makes me feel vampy and chic. 

I hope this week’s post inspired you to step out of your comfort zone and try something fun! After all, that’s what makeup is all about.
Danielle is currently a Public Relations major at Hofstra University with a minor in Drama. She is passionate about poetry, politics, and all things cosmetics-related. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and though she misses the sunny weather, she is loving New York. She also has a slight addiction to caffeine and good Mexican food.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!