This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Generally I am not a person who puts effort into her hair. Makeup has always been my main focus. This year, though, I’ve really been focusing on the health of my hair and I haven’t dyed it since May. That’s a huge accomplishment for me being that I’ve dyed my hair consistently since I was 13. 

One thing I’ve noticed since I’ve stopped coloring my hair is that it gets dirtier much faster. Oddly, as we approach the winter months, though, some parts of my scalp have also been very dry and itchy. The skin on my face is a combination of dry and oily and now the skin on my scalp is too. Fun, right?

The way I’ve been able to combat that is by using a combination of different hair products. I try to only shampoo every other day because excessive washing can contribute to dryness. On days when I don’t shampoo, I use Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak dry shampoo. It is the best dry shampoo I have ever tried and I’ve tried a lot. It completely absorbs excess oil without the powdery residue that dry shampoos tend to leave and it doesn’t dampen my hair at all. I love it.  On days when I do wash my hair, I’ve switched to Head and Shoulders products. It’s taken me a long time to accept the fact that I should try Head and Shoulders because I feel that there is a certain stigma attached to having dandruff (i.e. that it means you’re a dirty, slovenly person), but I’ve accepted my flakey scalp issues and I’m so glad that I have. It’s really only a problem during the winter months, but using the Clean shampoo has done such a great job in alleviating my dryness. I’ve also been using the Dry Scalp Care conditioner on just the ends of my hair and it has been working wonders.  Some additional tips for avoiding dryness on the rest of your body are to use cooler water when you shower because hot water strips your skin of moisture and to moisturize when your skin is damp because damp skin absorbs moisturizer more completely than dry skin. My sensitive skin responds well to Lubriderm Daily Moisture lotion because it’s not scented and it isn’t greasy to the touch.Stay warm and flake-free!

Danielle is currently a Public Relations major at Hofstra University with a minor in Drama. She is passionate about poetry, politics, and all things cosmetics-related. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and though she misses the sunny weather, she is loving New York. She also has a slight addiction to caffeine and good Mexican food.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!