Made-Up Monday: Create a Signature Look

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I want you all to think about a strong woman in your life. What are her defining qualities? How does she present herself? Most people in positions of power stick to an image that is exclusively theirs. They may not always have the same hair or makeup, but they commit within a certain range of looks. Jennifer Aniston is known for her beachy waves and natural makeup. Kim Kardashian is known for going the more glamorous route. And why do they adhere to this, you ask? It’s called branding!  Consistency is a quality that employers love to see in a business setting and it translates to all aspects of your life, whether you know it or not. Pick a makeup look that is your signature and make sure that it’s a look that you love.That doesn’t mean that you can’t play around with your makeup, though. My signature is my winged eyeliner and I almost never leave the house without it. When I feel adventurous, though, I like to switch up other things like my lipstick or eyeshadow colors. Maybe you love to rock a bright red lip; you could try using a berry or pink shade if you want to switch it up. Not into makeup at all? You can stick to a clean and fresh-faced look. Whatever you choose, make sure that it’s not too hard for you to commit to and it will definitely make a huge statement. Here are a few signature celebrity looks that are my favorite for some inspiration:Katy Perry frequently channels the pin-up look and isn’t afraid of funky colors.

Kylie Jenner brought the multicolored hair trend back to the mainstream and she loves her peachy nude lips.

Lupita Nyong’o always has flawless skin and has been rocking bright eyes on the red carpet. As you can see, it’s the small touches that really let you personalize your style. Create your signature look and proceed to future world domination. 

Danielle is currently a Public Relations major at Hofstra University with a minor in Drama. She is passionate about poetry, politics, and all things cosmetics-related. She is originally from Los Angeles, California and though she misses the sunny weather, she is loving New York. She also has a slight addiction to caffeine and good Mexican food.
Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!