A Letter to My High School Self as a Freshman Finishing Their First Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Dear High School Self,

Never think anything is impossible. I mean, I should know. We survived our first year in college in the middle of a pandemic. You read that correctly. When everything seems impossible, just think…you can get through this.

Do not be surprised by your mother in the future. She can be unpredictable but just you wait until she gets a revelation in the middle of the night. Let’s just say it comes in the form of a forever friend. And it involves driving to another city in the middle of a statewide curfew. Oh, the memories of first year.

2020 is a year filled with all kinds of sh*t. And I don’t mean the “it’s my first year alone” stuff. Just you wait…

One piece of advice I wish to give you is do not be afraid of branching out. College is about the craziest and happiest times in your life. It’s also about finding out what you want to do with your life. Join as many clubs as possible that doesn’t interfere with your classes. Make friends that will stay up with you for hours talking about books. Do whatever you can to find your tribe.

People sitting at table with laptops and laughing
Photo by Brooke Cagle from Unsplash
On that note, do not give up on what you love! Even if what you love now is totally different than what you originally thought. Love and passions can change. It’s something in life that will never be constant.

Do not be afraid of it, though!  It can be scary to undergo such a transition but sometimes, it’s for the best. Going from high school to entering college is intense. It could be a transformation of keeping or getting rid of friendships and relationships. Keep in mind, your family has your back.

Life is an obstacle course. Sometimes you get those easy obstacles like jumping over a cone. And sometimes you get a massive wall blocking your view of the finish line. It’s not about the time you spend at each obstacle. It’s about finishing each obstacle in order to get to the next.

One of the best aspects of college is learning all you can about your field. Even if you are not sure what you want to do in the long run. Knowledge is power!

I would have never expected to complete my first year completely online. But here we are. The second semester of first year is finishing up. Finals are just around the corner. The next thing you know, you’ll be graduating from the college of your choice. That’s how fast time goes by. Be sure to soak up everything and every moment you can. Even if it’s not the way you wanted it to go.

Woman sitting on bed with laptop and books
Photo by Windows from Unsplash
In a way, I’m grateful for the pandemic. It gave me a chance to deepen our relationships with our family. I have a spent a whole year at home and being there for my family. Next semester, I will be more excited and appreciative of the ones I love. I know I will be missing them even more since college is so many miles away from home.

You are made to go places. To meet interesting people who will be your life-long friends. Or to maybe grab a midnight Starbucks during layout. Heck, even spending our first real winter in New York will be an adventure!

road covered by snow near vehicle traveling at daytime
Flilp Bunkens/Unsplash
Whatever happens in life, you are made to tackle the obstacle course. Never forget your roots. And never forget seeing what’s ahead of you.

From,

An incoming second-year student

Sabrina Blandon is an American Literature major at NYU's CAS. Her Author Spotlight series features reputable writers such as Xiran Jay Zhao and James Murray, as she hopes to add onto the list.