Internship Diaries: Part Two, Interviews and Dressing the Part

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

So you’ve successful applied for internships and earned interviews at a few potential contenders. Congratulations! But no my dear, you may be one step closer to landing your first internship but you still have a ways to go to knock the socks off of a potential employer.

The interview, and no I am not referring to the Seth Rogan and James Franco film, is a critical step for all young professionals towards getting their dream job. Interviews are in summary, extremely intimidating, yet if handled properly a gateway to a new professional experience. It is important in an interview to establish to your potential employer your best qualities and why you would make the perfect intern. Now everyone is different and it is very important to avoid clichés when heading into an interview. Most likely your employer has already heard countless other interviews and you want to make sure that you stand out by emphasizing your positive traits and explaining why you as an individual would make the best possible hire.

Now how does one stand out in such a way that any employer would jump at the chance to take you on as an intern? Hint, it’s a lot easier than you might think. Start off by being enthusiastic and professional. There’s nothing wrong with being too polite and considerate and genuinely (not by begging or ass-kissing) expressing your ambition to be an intern for the company in question. Be sure to smile, carefully and considerately answer each question thoroughly and thoughtfully, and most of all be prepared to think outside the box.

What throws off a lot of great potential hires is an inability to think critically on the spot. Most employers will ask if you have any questions for them at the end of the interview and this is your opportunity to sell yourself as a unique and creative hire. I personally tend to ask the question “In your mind, what is your ideal intern and why”, because it allows for the interviewer to think more critically and it often catches them off guard in a good way. You want the person interviewing you to remember you (in a good way of course) and in most cases, a company wants to benefit from having a young and creative addition to the team that will add something special to the company. Internships aren’t solely for you to gain work experience and for an employer to have help with small tasks, but a give and take of thoughts and ideas between different demographics. In addition it is very important to do research about the company and the interviewer before the interview takes place. Interviewers are often extremely impressed by your knowledgeableness of the company and they like to know that you have a passion for what you could be potentially taking on. It never hurts to be too prepared and knowing your stuff can help alleviate nerves for an upcoming interview. Not to mention the confidence (not cockiness) in knowing a brand and yourself as a capable professional is also important when entering into an interview.

Politeness is key to having a successful interview. Make sure that you arrive on time for your interview (which means planning your trains and travel ahead and leaving more time than you need to get to your destination), that you thank the interviewer for their time, and to go further to write a thank you email after the interview has taken place. In addition to showing that you are a respectful young professional, the last thank you often seals the deal for interviewers by reminding them once again why you are intern material.

In addition to knowing your stuff, you also want to dress the part. For your interview, you want to dress in a way that reflects yourself as a professional but also reflects the company that you are interested in. Depending on your major, your workplace attire will vary and it is important to recognize the differences. If you are majoring in something like marketing, business, accounting, or anything corporate, a suit or suit-like ensemble is your best bet. You don’t need to spend a million to show that you are worth their time but finding an outfit that fits well and is made to last is important. If you are going into something more artsy, fashion-forward, or relaxed you will want to dress accordingly as well. For those of you going into something arts or fashion related, dress in a way that is professional but also shows off your personality. Believe it or not but certain places will judge you based on if you have style, but as I mentioned earlier you don’t have to spend a fortune to be stylish. Pay attention to some key trends and add bits and pieces into your interview ensemble, making sure at the same time that you are memorable in a good way. If it wasn’t obvious enough already, you want to make sure that you are comfortable in your interview outfit. If you are city bound you will most likely tackle different modes of transportation along your journey and I would recommend comfortable shoes. If you must wear heels, wear comfortable shoes to get to the interview and then change into your heels once you are close by. After the interview and you land the internship of your dreams, be sure to keep up your appearance throughout the experience (although maybe skip out on the heels after the first week). You want to show your employer that you take this opportunity seriously and visually show them that you could aesthetically and professionally fit in as a permanent member of the team one day.

So there you have it.  Just remember to be prepared in more ways than one, show your appreciativeness after your interview, and dress like you want the job. Good luck ladies!

Studying Abroad in Firenze, Italy. Current Vice President and Blog Mentor of Her Campus Hofstra. Contributing Writer and Intern at Inked Magazine. A writer of all things body modification, beards, veganism, and feminism related.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.