burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
burgess milner OYYE4g I5ZQ unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Intern Diary: The Teen Vogue Fashion U Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

I was fortunate enough to spend this past weekend at Teen Vogue’s Fashion University. I had heard about the program for a couple of years, but this year I finally took the leap and applied. When I got accepted I was excited, of course, but I had no idea what was really in store for me.

This weekend was PHENOMENAL. There’s really no other word. To be in the same room as the people I was with is great. To be able to hear them speak and as them questions, was beyond amazing. I listened to Q&As with Amy Astley and the Teen Vogue editors. I heard Stephanie Winston Walkoff tell anecdotes about working with Anna Wintour. I met Christian Siriano and heard about his brand. I even sat, star struck in the front row as OscarPRgirl, Erika Bearman, described a day in her life. Can I just say, I want her life!

The speakers shared advice on getting to where you want to be, staying true to yourself, and even the tips and tricks that they’ve learned from years in the fashion industry. They were open. They were honest. They were incredible.

Needless to say at the end of the weekend I was exhausted. Even though my feet killed from wearing sky-high heels and I was running solely on caffeine—thank you Starbucks—this weekend will stay in my memory forever. The tips I learned and the connections I made were priceless. The speakers are there for you, to help you and to guide you. Take advantage of every opportunity. I managed to snag a coffee meeting with Teen Vogue’s Social Media Manager, just by tweeting at her after her Q&A.

So now it’s time for my shameless plug. If you are interested in anything to do with the fashion world—writing, editing, photography, blogging, social media, advertising, event planning, designing, modeling—this is the place for you. Check it out online at TeenVogueFashionUniversity.com. You’ll be glad you went, I know I am.