Intern Diaries: Reasons Why Magazines Are Nothing Like ‘The Devil Wears Prada’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Admit it, you’ve seen that movie and you’ve always wondered if that’s what magazines are like. And despite the fact that you know it’s probably not true, you can’t help but wonder. Well, I hate to burst your bubble, but real world magazines are absolutely nothing like the Devil Wears Prada. Here’s why:

1: Not everyone wears heels. I’m as big a fan of heels as the next fashionista, but when you’re running around the office printing, copying, going to see editors and going to meetings you don’t have time to be hobbling in 5 inch heels. I speak from experience, no matter how comfy your heels are in the morning, 4 hours and 2 blocks down 5th Avenue later, they kill.

2: No one is going to make you change your entire wardrobe, and hair, and makeup. I will admit that fashion magazine people are a pretty good looking crowd, generally fashionable people like fashion writing, but the office can be a bit more casual. People wear jeans, flats, and sweaters. Rarely anybody has decked out in $500 pants straight off the runway. It’s practical, comfortable, and generally business casual.

3: Your boss will never be THAT mean. Okay, okay, I can’t say never, but it’s super unlikely. Editors are real people, not monsters. That goes for the Editor-in-Chiefs too. Many say please and thank you and ask you to do things, not demand it. They didn’t get where they are by terrifying co-workers. They got there by being hard working professionals, the same way that you will.

So what’s my point? My point is don’t be scared to work in fashion magazines. You won’t get yelled at over coffee, or be demanded to change your flats for 6 inch heels. And most importantly, don’t be afraid to approach an editor, shoot them an email or ask to get a cup of coffee. So put those Devil Wears Prada nightmares behind you and get excited to join the awesome world of fashion magazines!

Rachel is a senior at Hofstra University where she majors in journalism with minors in fine arts photography and creative writing. The Rochester, NY native is involved in several organizations on campus including the Hofstra chapters of Ed2010 and She's the First. She is also an RA in a freshman residence hall. Rachel has interned at College Lifestyles, Cosmopolitan, The Knot Magazine, and is now interning at Us Weekly. She hopes to someday fulfill her dreams of being an editor at a magazine. Until then, she is a dreamer, a wanderlust and a lover of haikus. Follow her on Twitter for silly and sarcastic tidbits @rcrocetti!