Inside the Creative Mind: Declan Quinlan ‘19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

Declan Quinlan

Year: 2019

Major: Business

Creativity comes naturally to some. They think in unconventional, abstract ways. Whether through art, film, music, or everything else in between, visionaries gravitate toward ideas that put a twist on the average view of the world. Some prefer looking through a lens to describe the way they see everyday activities—photography puts things into a different light.

Declan Quinlan’s interest in photography was inspired by his grandfather, who was a photographer himself, and his familiarity with skateboarding. “After playing with my parents’ camera for a bit, I decided to buy my own,” said Declan on how he got started. “At first I preferred landscape, but I think it’s too easy now. I don’t dislike it, but if I had to choose I’d prefer to shoot portraits or skateboarding. I like the action of it and the fact that no two pictures of skateboarding will ever be the same. Skateboarders are also usually pretty crazy so it makes them fun people to take pictures with.”

In this day and age, it’s common to take to social media outlets in order to amplify our hobbies and personal interests. Instagram and Tumblr have become platforms to share more than just your latest selfie or photo of what you eat for breakfast in the morning. Declan’s eclectic and unique Instagram and Tumblr photos embrace cool tones and subtle vintage details. “I don’t have any specific creative process, or style that I necessarily try and convey, but I have a certain idea of what I feel is my best work or what I feel people will enjoy most and that’s usually what I decide to post on my feed.” 

College is the time when we get to learn different things and make an attempt, or multiple attempts, at discovering what interests us the most and who we are. During this time it’s important to maintain a sense of creativity so we uncover the most genuine versions of ourselves.

For Declan, “Creativity is an artistic representation of an idea or emotion in whatever medium the artist sees fit.” So step out of your comfort zone and try something new. Your creativity depends on it! xo

Sophomore. Journalism major with a minor in Global Studies. I like Lifetime movies, eclectic music and those little meatballs from IKEA.
Coming from a small town in Connecticut, Hailey is a recent graduate of Hofstra University. She spent her time in school working as the Campus Correspondent for the Hofstra chapter of Her Campus where she led the chapter to a pink level status every semester she oversaw the chapter. She also served as the Personnel Director for Marconi Award Winning station WRHU-FM. While holding multiple positions at Hofstra, she was a communications intern at Brooklyn Sports and Entertainment, the company that oversees Barclays Center and Nassau Veteran's Memorial Coliseum.