This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hofstra chapter.

1. Riding Boots

Riding boots are the most essential pair of shoes for the fall months.  They are stylish and can be dressed up or down for any occasion.  Since riding boots are a classic and staple to any wardrobe, spending a little extra money on a good quality pair that you will have for a few years is the way to go.  If you just want to try them out and go for the more wallet friendly alternative, try out stores such as DSW and two great online shoe sites: gojane and justfab.

2. Sperry’s/Boat Shoes

In the last couple of years Sperry’s boat shoes have become more and more popular around college campuses for both guys and girls.  They are a comfortable shoe known for its preppy, summer styles but they can easily be transitioned into your fall wardrobe.  Boat shoes are effortless and can be slipped right on to look great with jeans in the colder fall months.

3. Ankle Booties

Short ankle booties are very trendy this fall.  This season many stores are stocked with these bootie style shoes.  These look great paired with skinny jeans, colored jeans and even dresses or skirts. Although they are harder to pull off than riding boots, with the right outfit these can look awesome. If you are looking for a dressier alternative some stores sell these boots with a heel or platform. Depending on your height and how comfortable you are walking in heels, give them a try! Last time I was in Target I saw an entire wall of these ankle boots in different styles for a decent price.

4. Ballet Flats

Ballet flats are a great shoe for the fall season.  They are a girlier and chicer basic shoe that are so versatile.  They can also be dressed up, for a more professional look or dressed down with a pair of skinny jeans.  Finding the right pair that fits well and is comfortable can be tricky. Here’s a tip: try a pair of flats with a more pointed toe to create the illusion of longer legs.

5. Rain Boots

A good pair of rain boots is key for those colder, rainy fall days on a college campus. Trekking across campus to class in the rain is never fun, but you can make it easier and more fashionable with a cute pair of rain boots.  Investing in a good pair of Hunter Boots or L.L.Bean Boots is a good idea because they are both made very well.  Once you buy a pair, you won’t be able to wait for the next rain storm!

6. Loafers

Loafers are another trendy style for the fall.  Similar to ballet flats, they are another shoe item that can either be dressed up or be super casual, depending on your lifestyle.  They are sold in basic colors such as black and brown but if you are looking to stand out with a fun, fall shoe a ton of colored and patterned shoes are sold in stores such as Macy’s, Free People, and more.

The right pair of shoes can complete an entire outfit.  Keep these fun fall shoe ideas in mind next time you go shopping! With these different fall shoe options, you’ll be ready to take on the cooler fall months, one step at a time.